University’s visa advice to student a potential breach of immigration law

first_img“It is rather strange, however, that having made the rules of the game clear, the Oxford administration then starts putting up barriers that make it more difficult to fulfil their own criteria.” A St Hilda’s student was advised by the University to travel to the UK on a tourist visa, a potential breach of immigration laws, Cherwell can reveal. The student had suspended her studies due to a serious illness and returned to her home country as a result. She was asked to continue her studies during her suspension, which necessitated the use of the Bodleian libraries. Anyone applying for a tourist visa must state that their main purpose of travel is not studying. The University told Cherwell that use of the Bodleian libraries alone “probably doesn’t meet the Home Office’s idea of study.” Emails seen by Cherwell show that when she approached St Hilda’s for assistance, the College’s academic registrar advised her to travel to the UK on a tourist visa: “I have spoken with the University Student Immigration team about your situation. It is legal to study for up to 30 days on a tourist visa, but according to Home Office guidance: “The study must be an extra activity that you do during your visit to the UK, and can’t be the main purpose of your visit.” The student responded to the email by writing: “Is there any chance you [could] have a conversation with the emigration team once more? “Because opening the tourist visa would be a lie – I don’t come to the UK for tourism in this case, I come simply for study, and I don’t like lying.” The student requested a new Tier 4 visa to allow her to return to the UK but was informed that this would not be available possible the next academic year under Home Office rules. “When we accept our offers, we agree to the fact that Oxford will be executing some form of control over us. They put forth certain requirements and work targets that we have to fulfil to complete our degrees. center_img “I then passed this advice on to the student, and also advised her to make contact with the Immigration Team herself for further details.” Asked about the student’s use of the Bodleian library, the University’s Tier 4 visa compliance unit said: “If someone is coming to use a library without enrolling on a short course, or being accepted by a UK institution to undertake research or be taught about research, then this might not meet the Home Office’s idea of study and therefore would probably not be a problem for a visitor to carry out, even if it was the main purpose of their trip.” “Therefore, your only available route if you want to use Oxford libraries is to come to the UK on a short term tourist visa.” Speaking to Cherwell, St. Hilda’s academic registrar Rebekah Unwin explained: “After receiving the student’s initial email earlier this week, I spoke with the University Student Immigration Team, who advised that under Home Office legislation they cannot process a request for a Tier 4 visa with a start date earlier than the start of the academic year and that therefore if the student plans to come to the UK for a couple of weeks in the summer the only course of action open to her is to apply for a tourist visa. The College responded by reiterating their position, telling the student: “Under Home Office legislation, the University Student Immigration team cannot process an application for your new Tier 4 visa with a start date earlier than the start of October. “They tell me that if you want to come to the UK to use the library, you will need to organise a tourist visa to do so.” Speaking to Cherwell, the student added: “I believe that foreign students can be taken better care of. last_img read more

Last chance to enter BIA!

first_imgEntries to this year’s Baking Industry Awards, organised by British Baker, close on Friday 10 May. There are 11 categories for professional bakers and suppliers to choose from.They include The Craft Business Award, Bakery Supplier of the Year, Baker of the Year, The Product Innovation Award and many more.If you have not yet entered go to to download a form, or call or email [email protected] on tel 01293 610422.The awards take place at the Hilton Hotel, Park Lane, London on Wednesday 11 September before a crowd of over 800 people.The glittering event, hosted each year by a popular celebrity, includes a three-course meal, entertainment, dancing, a funny money casino with a fantastic prize and dancing till 2am.Shortlisted candidates will be reduced to three finalists, all of whom will attend free on the night with their partners, as guests of the sponsors. If you are a professional in the bakery trade we look forward to hearing from you soon. To purchase tickets for the night, email:[email protected] or call 01293 846593. Tickets cost £255 each or £2,295 per table of 10.last_img read more