Tyias Browning 1 Everton starlet Tyias Browning wants to keep his place in the side after impressing against Swansea City at the weekend.The 21-year-old defender was drafted in by Roberto Martinez to cover for injured right-back Seamus Coleman and he did a fine job contributing to his side’s clean sheet against a talented Swans side.A trip to Reading in the Capital One Cup on Tuesday is next on the agenda, and Browning hopes he’s done enough to earn another start.“I thought I did okay,” he said after the goalless draw. “Hopefully, I’ve done enough to get a start in the next game.“There were bits I can work on but I’m quite happy with my performance.“I only found out I was going to play in the meeting before the game and I was happy to be selected.“I did have an idea that I might be starting. It was always in the back of my mind, but the manager could have put someone else at right-back.”
1 Stoke City defender Dionatan Teixeira has extended his loan spell at Fleetwood until the New Year.The 23-year-old, who has made just one Stoke appearance since arriving from Dukla Bystrica in June 2014, joined Fleetwood at the start of this month.He has racked up six appearances for the League One club already and now they want to keep him for longer.So Premier League Stoke have agreed to let the Brazil-born Slovakia Under-21 international stay with Fleetwood for a total of three months, which will end on January 2. Dionatan Teixeira
Sepp Blatter and Michel Platini 1 Sepp Blatter and Michel Platini will have formal hearings later this month into allegations that they breached FIFA’s ethics code, it has been announced.Hans-Joachim Eckert, the German judge who heads the adjudicatory chamber of FIFA’s ethics committee, has opened proceedings against the pair after studying reports from investigators.Outgoing FIFA president Blatter and UEFA president Platini are facing lengthy bans if found guilty of several breaches of FIFA’s ethics code over a £1.3million payment made by FIFA to Platini in 2011. A decision is expected before Christmas.A statement from FIFA’s ethics committee said: “The adjudicatory chamber has studied the reports carefully and decided to institute formal proceedings against the two officials. For reasons linked to privacy rights and the presumption of innocence until proven guilty, the adjudicatory chamber will not publish details of the sanctions requested by the investigatory chamber in its final reports.“In the course of the proceedings, both parties will be invited to submit positions including any evidence with regard to the final reports of the investigatory chamber and they may request a hearing.“The adjudicatory chamber intends to come to a decision in both cases during the month of December.”It is understood investigators have called for bans of at least six years for Blatter and Platini – who are both provisionally suspended – based on four potential ethics code breaches: mismanagement, conflict of interest, false accounting and non co-operation with or criticising the ethics committee.Korea’s former FIFA vice-president Chung Mong-Joon was banned for six years last month and the allegations are at least as serious as those he was sanctioned for.Meanwhile, Blatter has revealed he was “close to death” after collapsing earlier this month. Read the full story here.
Burak Yilmaz won’t be joining West Ham this summer – he has become the latest player to complete a move to China.Hammers boss Slaven Bilic is an admirer of Yilmaz and looked into signing the striker from Galatasaray during the January transfer window.But a deal did not materalise and the Turkish international has now opted to join the Chinese Super League by penning a deal with Beijing Guoan.Yilmaz, who scored nine goals in 19 appearances for Gala this season, has signed a three-year contract with Guoan.The 30-year-old played 141 times in total for Galatasaray after joining the club in 2012.He joins an incredible list of players to have moved to China in recent weeks.Ramires, Alex Teixeira, Jackson Martinez, Nikica Jelavic and Ezequiel Lavezzi have all been tempted by the riches on offer in the Far East. Burak Yilmaz 1
Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal Manchester United Louis van Gaal was resigned to agree with supporters’ scathing assessment after the Red Devils suffered an embarrassing defeat to Danish minnows FC Midtjylland in the Europa League.Chants of “we’re f*****g s**t” were heard coming from the away stand as the Premier League side fell to a 2-1 loss.Around 800 fans had made the trip to the MCH Arena for a match that cost £71 per ticket.The scoreline from the last-32, first-leg encounter means United still have every chance of securing progress to the round of 16 when they host Midtjylland in return tie at Old Trafford next week.But that doesn’t make up for what is arguably one of the club’s most embarrassing results in their proud European history.And was no less than Van Gaal’s men deserved after they delivered the latest substandard performance of their increasingly troubled season.“The fans can criticise. They can do it because when you see the second half, maybe they are right,” said the Dutch boss, whose position as manager is under ever-growing scrutiny.“We have to improve and then the fans shall support us again.”But the Dutchman disagreed with the suggestion his players’ attitude was a problem.“It’s nothing to do with attitude,” he said.“All the players want to perform in an excellent way. It is not a case of attitude.“We were not winning the second balls – that is my analysis.” 1
Chelsea have vowed to support any criminal prosecution and ban any supporter found responsible of coin throwing during Sunday’s FA Cup fifth-round tie with Manchester City at Stamford Bridge.It appeared objects were thrown from the lower section of the Matthew Harding Stand as City celebrated David Faupala’s equaliser after 37 minutes of the match, which Chelsea won 5-1.Referee Andre Marriner was later seen collecting three objects from the corner of the pitch. The first appeared to be a coin.A Chelsea spokesman said: “We condemn such idiotic and dangerous behaviour and if we can identify those responsible then we will ban them from Stamford Bridge.“It’s worth noting it’s a criminal offence too and we will support any police prosecution, if we can identify, along with the police, those individuals responsible for that behaviour today.”Chelsea interim boss Guus Hiddink said: “I condemn it strongly. Those people, those persons, they must not come into stadiums.”City boss Manuel Pellegrini was unaware of the incident until he was informed after the match.It was the second incident of coin throwing in the FA Cup this weekend.West Brom’s Chris Brunt was struck by a coin thrown from the visiting supporters in his side’s loss to Championship Reading on Saturday.
4. LA Galaxy – The gold and navy sash is a great change for the new season. 19. San Jose Earthquakes – The fading asymmetrical diagonals and plain sponsors logo leave this kit looking quite bland. 2. Vancouver Whitecaps – If Houston got the fade all wrong, Vancouver got it spot on. This jersey is ice cool. 7.Orlando City – This jersey is high on our list just because it brings back brilliant memories of TV programme Dream Team and the mighty Harchester United. 20 5. Montreal Impact – Didier Drogba will be wearing this jersey next but the pinstripes don’t quite go with the prominent blue and black ones. 20 20 11. Toronto FC – Very, very plain. 20 15. Houston Dynamo – Had this been completely orange it would have featured a lot higher on our list but the fade to white doesn’t float our boat. 20 20 9. Philadelphia Union – If we’re honest if it weren’t for the sponsor (a bakery brand), this jersey would be a lot lower in this list. 20 20 1. Portland Timbers – This jersey from the MLS Cup holders is an absolute beauty. It’s the right shade of green and the chevron is unique too. 20 13. Real Salt Lake – It’s better than previous incarnations of this jersey but it’s still got a long way to go to top this table. 6. Sporting Kansas City – This number is a subtle beauty and ticks all the right boxes. The new MLS season is about to get underway and, as well as new signings, it means new kits too.Out go last seasons strips, in comes some fresh clobber for the likes of Andrea Pirlo, Sebastian Giovinco, Steven Gerrard, Kaka, Clint Dempsey and Robbie Keane.There are some decent efforts too, with all kits coming from adidas, but which teams’ threads are the best?Here talkSPORT runs through the top primary jerseys (home kits to you English readers) and ranks them from worst to first.Click the right arrow above to see how we’ve rated each MLS side… 17. FC Dallas – The different hues of red aren’t really doing it for us. 18. New York Red Bulls – The large sponsorship on the shirt makes this jersey a bit too gaudy for our liking. 20 20 20 20. Chicago Fire – Click the right arrow above to see how we rated this season’s home MLS kits – Red with a thick white stripe across the chest is reminiscent of some Middlesbrough kits from years gone by, it’s a decent jersey but nothing special. 20 20 20 14. Colorado Rapids – It’s not that there is something wrong with this Colorado kit, it just fails to excite. 20 10. DC United – The black with red trim is decent enough, but it’s a bit plain on the front. 3. Columbus Crew – Black and yellow is always a great kit choice as far as we’re concerned. It looks great on the Pittsburgh Steelers and does the trick for the Eastern Conference side. 20 20 12. Seattle Sounders – The ‘rave green’ strip is certainly a bit different but overall the jersey is a bit basic. 20 8. New York City FC – It’s basically an adidas version of Manchester City’s current strip and we much prefer the style Nike went for. 20 16. New England Revolution – It feels like a Paris Saint-Germain rip off, it’s almost great but doesn’t quite match up to the French side’s strip.
MEDICINE: Researcher from Torrance area was part of project focusing on ovarian disease. By Melissa Evans STAFF WRITER The latest findings of a widely recognized women’s health study show a low-fat diet may reduce the risk of ovarian cancer for post- The results are useful not only to women who want to prevent cancer, but also to researchers studying pharmacological remedies to ward off the cancer, the doctor said. Ovarian cancer is more rare than other cancers such as cervical or breast, but it is more deadly – about 80 percent of diagnosed cases result in death. Led by Ross Prentice of Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in Seattle, today’s study comes on the heels of findings that showed diet can also significantly reduce breast cancer rates in women. The researchers began following the women in 1992, and will continue to analyze data. More findings are expected in the next few months, Chlebowski said. [email protected] local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREChargers go winless in AFC West with season-ending loss in Kansas Citymenopausal women, according to a report in today’s Journal of the National Cancer Institute. The researchers, including Dr. Rowan Chlebowski of the Los Angeles Biomedical Research Institute near Torrance, analyzed the eating habits of about 50,000 women who were followed for eight years as part of the Women’s Health Initiative. Researchers found that women who cut their fat intake to 20percent of all food consumed and ate healthier foods such as fruits and vegetables were about half as likely to contract ovarian cancer – but only after they stuck to the diet for at least four years. The two groups of women – those who ate healthier and those who stuck to their old diet – had about the same rate of ovarian cancer, about two cases per 2,000 participants, in the initial four years. But in the eight-year period, roughly three women in 3,000 in the healthier group contracted the cancer, compared with six in 3,000 of the control group, according to the study. “There are very few things that reduce the risk of ovarian cancer,” Chlebowski said. “We know that birth control pills can accomplish that, and now the second thing is diet. That’s a pretty good finding.”
SPACE: Experts say nation hopes for military and scientific benefits. By Audra Ang THE ASSOCIATED PRESS BEIJING – Embarking on an ambitious 10-year moon exploration program, China launched its first lunar probe Wednesday – a leap forward in the Asian space race that gave a boost to national pride, and the promise of scientific and military payoffs. The lunar mission adds depth to a Chinese space program that has sent astronauts into orbit around the Earth twice. President Hu Jintao and other Chinese leaders sent congratulations, the official Xinhua News Agency said. Though national pride is one benefit of the space program, China is also looking for scientific and military benefits. Wednesday’s launch marks the first step of a three-stage moon mission. In about 2012 there will be a moon landing with a moon rover. In the third phase, about five years later, another rover will land on the moon and be returned to Earth with lunar soil and stone samples. Earlier this month, NASA Administrator Michael Griffin said that he thought China will get to the moon before the United States can meet a 2020 deadline for a return visit. “It is a prestige issue,” said Michael Auslin, resident scholar in Asian studies at the American Enterprise Institute. “China has had a more extensive space program than Japan, they’ve launched astronauts into space, so they clearly don’t want to be seen as giving up superiority to Japan.” The launch shows China is able to build and use the best technology, which has domestic, economic and military implications, he said. “They clearly see space as a new area of potential competition … this is moving in new directions, away from sea and air, and space launches are part of that.” Soon after Wednesday’s launch, Xinhua quoted an unidentified spokesman of the military-run space program as saying China was not interested in a space race. However, Vincent Sabathier, director of space initiatives at the Center for Strategic and International Studies, said China’s probe poses a military concern. “You cannot make the distinction between civil space and military space,” he said, adding that civil space involves projects done in the open. “The more you show the capability in civil space, the more you tell the potential adversaries you have the same thing on the military side. That you are mighty.” 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.Just a week ago, Japan put a probe into orbit around the moon, and India has plans to send its own probe into space in April. The Long March 3A rocket left a trail of smoke Wednesday as it soared into cloudy skies from the Xichang Satellite Launch Center in theprovince of Sichuan. Twenty-four minutes later, the Chang’e 1 satellite – named after a mythical Chinese goddess who flew to the moon – separated from the rocket on a trajectory to reach lunar orbit in 13 days. “The launch of China’s first moon probe satellite is successful!” Xu Fuxiang, a professor from the China Institute of Space Technology, declared on television. “We have passed through the most difficult time,” he said after the rocket and satellite separated. “It should be heading smoothly toward the moon.”
Two months ago, Adriana and Ricardo Martinez were earning F’s at North Park Middle School in Pico Rivera. Adriana, 13, had problems with truancy, and Ricardo, 12, was acting out in class. The brother and sister were referred by their principal to the Pico Rivera Sheriff’s Station and became part of PRIDE, a mentoring and education program for 12- to 15-year-olds. Now, Adriana and Ricardo both have A averages. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.Alex Mata, clergyman for the station and executive director for the program, said the 28 children in the program have experienced a change in attitude during the nine-week course. “At the beginning they didn’t want to be here,” Mata said. “The first day, you could cut the tension with a knife. This is a whole shift in their paradigm.” Mata said PRIDE, which stands for Pico Rivera Individual Development in Ethics, was an idea born out of his ride-alongs with deputies who were responding to domestic violence calls from parents having difficulty with their teenage children. Youths are referred to the program by teachers, principals and parents. After several months of planning, the first PRIDE class began in April of this year and graduated after nine weeks. Now, the second class is nearly finished, and will graduate Wednesday. “We don’t only plan on working with the kids during these nine weeks, but we want to continue,” said Sgt. Steve Sanchez, who also heads the program. “The goal is to motivate them to go to college.” The program focuses on providing a mentor to each young person and involving them in fun group activities and community service, as well as making them examine the consequences of choosing gangs and crime. “We believe if they’re left alone, they’ll need intervention later,” Mata said. The youths are taken to bowling nights and movies, as well as Skid Row in Los Angeles and the county morgue. One important event in the program includes being “arrested” and kept in jail for a few hours, to show the teens what the experience is like. “This isn’t just a scared-straight program,” Mata said. “This is a vital program for our community since we are No. 2 in the state for gang-related deaths, after Compton.” Sanchez said the other crucial part of PRIDE is the participation of the 14 mentors who go with their charges to two functions every other week and meet outside the program weekly to talk and be a friend. “The mentors are given the task of working with their mentees, keeping in contact with them while they’re in the program, just trying to keep with them and keep them motivated to do well,” Sanchez said. Gina Delallata, 39, said she volunteered to help because she understands the teens in the program. “If I can help out a youth, it brings me joy,” Delallata said. “I have children and I am a single mom. The parents have told me that they’ve seen an improvement.” Mata said funding for the program is still limited. “We’re doing this on a shoestring budget,” Mata said. “We’re already having capacity problems.” A waiting list has begun for parents and teens interested in PRIDE, and local businesses and clubs are being asked to donate. The Maria Hicks Scholarship Fund, founded in honor of a woman who was killed confronting a vandal in her neighborhood, has also raised almost $14,000 for the teens in the program to go to college. The organizers acknowledge that the program does not have a perfect success rate. Eight students have been suspended from school while in the program and two have been expelled, but most are making improvements. Sanchez said he does not expect to see overnight change, but wants to give teens a chance to make better choices. “Are we going to reach every single kid? No,” Sanchez said. “But if we can change the course for the majority of these kids, it makes a difference.” [email protected] (562) 698-0955, Ext. 3029 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!