Standoff with 72yearold gunman enters third day

first_imgA woman who was known to the man had also been in the house, but she left soon after police arrived and is safe and well. There have been no reports of injuries.Mr Honnor said: “I appreciate this must be a little disconcerting and frustrating for local residents, having a continued large police presence outside their homes. Sussex Police cordoned off the property and closed the roadCredit:PA Want the best of The Telegraph direct to your email and WhatsApp? Sign up to our free twice-daily  Front Page newsletter and new  audio briefings. The village has a population of around 6,000 people Anyone know what happened in Pagham tonight🚨🚑🚓🚁— Ems (@Emilyjpackham) August 28, 2016 The village has a population of around 6,000 peopleCredit:PA “The safety of the local community is paramount and we are doing all we can to resolve this ongoing incident in a controlled way.”The road closure and cordons remain in place but residents are still free to come and go as and when they need to with police support.”We would once again like to thank the local community for their patience and understanding.” Harbour Road is on a dirt track between the seafront and a nature reserve.Landscape gardener Trevor Hawkins, 54, said he could see four police officers from his home, which has been taped off as part of the cordon.He said: “Down this street, on the whole, everybody is quite friendly and says good morning so for something like this to happen is totally out of the ordinary.”He said police are “all out at the nature reserve at the back so it is quite a big thing”. #pagham I mean this seems pretty alright someone actually give us an idea of what’s going on #bbcnews— Sam Guy (@samjonjoguy) August 28, 2016 Sussex Police cordoned off the property and closed the road A siege involving a pensioner who is refusing to leave a house and is thought to be armed has continued into a third day.Armed police surrounded the property in Harbour Road, Pagham, West Sussex, after receiving reports at around 4.10pm on Sunday that the 72-year-old had a gun and was using threatening behaviour.Chief Superintendent Neil Honnor, of Sussex Police, said the stand-off in the quiet seafront village may be a “little disconcerting and frustrating” for residents.Officers have cordoned off the property and closed the road. Emergency services remain on stand-by.last_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *