Three killed in BSF firing in Tripura border

first_imgBSF shot dead three tribal villagers, including a woman, at a border location in south Tripura on Friday afternoon. Two villagers sustained injuries in the incident that occurred after residents allegedly attacked a security patrol following seizure of cattle meant for smuggling to Bangladesh.Police said tension was brewing in the tribal-dominated area since March 13 after BSF troops of 31battalion captured seven cattle at Bangamura in Sabroom subdivision. Friday’s incident occurred at Herbatali, near border pillar number 22043RI and 300 meter from Bangladesh border.BSF battalion Commandant T.S. Negi claimed a crowd attacked Assistant Sub Inspector Abhay Singh and Constable Rabi Datta after they foiled another cattle smuggling attempt on Friday afternoon. “Rabi Datta came under attack by people armed with sharp cutting weapons and he fired shots in self defense”, he told The Hindu by phone.He said Rabi Datta was injured in the attack. Mr. Negi said villagers refused to accept medical help from BSF medicos.While Mr. Negi could not give number of casualties, police confirmed death of three villagers. Sur Laxmi Tripura, 35, Min Kumar Tripura, 35 and Pora Kumar Tripura, 35 received bullet shots and died on the spot. Jiban Kumar Tripura and Prem Kumar Tripura were injured.Tension was running high in the area with villagers claiming they were protesting against rape of a tribal woman by BSF personnel before being fired upon. BSF troops were withdrawn from local post in view of current situation.Senior police officials arranged transfer of bodies and injured to a hospital after reaching the incident sport. Tribal political parties condemned the incident and demanded punishment of guilty BSF men.On July 22 last year a BSF trooper shot dead a woman at Tarapukur in Sonamura of Sepahijala district. The assailant allegedly made a rape attempt on young woman before firing.last_img read more

Travis Scott Cardi B To Headline The 2019 Made In America Festival

first_imgNews JAY-Z’s music festival returns to Philadelphia for its eighth year, on Aug. 31 & Sept. 1Ana YglesiasGRAMMYs Apr 2, 2019 – 6:21 pm Today, the Made In America Festival, started by JAY-Z in 2012, announced the lineup for its 2019 fest, featuring GRAMMY nominee Travis Scott and GRAMMY winner Cardi B as the headliners. The two-day event is set to take place in Philadelphia Aug. 31–Sept. 1, and will also include performances from GRAMMY winners Anderson .Paak, with The Free Nationals, James Blake and Kaskade. Fellow Made In America headliner Scott, who just closed out the second leg of his successful Astroworld Tour, will also be performing a select number of festivals, as well as Boston Calling and Rolling Loud in Miami. He and Cardi will also be part of the opening weekend parties at the new KAOS club in Las Vegas.Tickets to Made In America go on sale to the general public this Friday, April 5, with a TIDAL pre-sale currently up and running; more ticket info is available on the fest’s site.Kanye West Will Bring His “Sunday Service” To Coachella 2019 Email 61st GRAMMY Awards first-time nominees Jorja Smith and Tierra Whack are also on the bill, along with rising rappers Juice WRLD and Blueface, among others. The eighth annual festival will take place outdoors at Philly’s Benjamin Franklin Parkway, and is a great way to close out a busy festival season.Cardi is fresh off her first-time GRAMMY win this February, where she took home Best Rap Album for her debut LP, Invasion Of Privacy. The rap queen will be making her rounds at several other festivals around the globe this year, including Hangout Fest in Alabama and Primavera Sound in Barcelona, Spain. Travis Scott & Cardi B To Headline Made In America travis-scott-cardi-b-headline-2019-made-america-festival Travis Scott & Cardi B To Headline The 2019 Made In America Festival https://twitter.com/MIAFestival/status/1113141671687057410 Twitter Facebook NETWORK ERRORCannot Contact ServerRELOAD YOUR SCREEN OR TRY SELECTING A DIFFERENT VIDEO Feb 10, 2019 – 9:38 pm Watch: Cardi B Wins Best Rap Album last_img read more

Housewife killed in Chapainawabganj road crash

first_imgRoad Accident logoA housewife was killed in a road accident at Lalapara area of Chapainawabganj sadar upazila on Wednesday morning.The deceased is Fahima Begum, 24, wife of a certain Masud Rana, a resident of Rasiknagar area of Shibganj upazila, reports UNB.Chapainawabganj police station officer-in-charge Saber Reza Ahmed said a Shibganj-bound bus hit an auto-rickshaw, leaving Fahima critically injured around 11:00am.Local rushed the victim to Chapainawabganj Sadar Hospital where physicians declared her dead, he said.The driver of the bus managed to flee the scene, the OC added.last_img

Hobby Is One Of The Fastest Growing Airports In The United States

first_imgPhoto: Houston Airport SystemHobby Airport is becoming one of the fastest growing airports in the United States thanks to its international terminal.Hobby Airport is becoming one of the fastest growing airports in the United States thanks to its international terminal.According to data compiled by the Houston Airport System, 145,000 passengers, combining travelers who arrived and departed from the city’s second airport, passed through Hobby in 2015.That year, the international terminal was only operational for a few months because it was opened in October.In 2016, the number of incoming and outgoing passengers that used Hobby grew to 800,000.The Houston Airport System has also compiled the data covering from January to November of 2017. In that 11 month period, Hobby also saw almost 800,000 travelers.Bill Begley, a spokesman for the Houston Airport System says the considerable investment in the city’s second airport is paying off.“It was a 256 million expansion at Hobby that included not just the new concourse, but also improvements to the roadways, to infrastructure,” noted Begley.Currently, Southwest Airlines is the only carrier flying internationally at Hobby, with routes that connect Houston to Mexico, Latin America and the Caribbean.Clifford Winston, who studies transportation for the Brookings Institution, says the Dallas-based airline has been a crucial factor because “what we are seeing at Hobby is the same kind of things that we’ve been seeing when Southwest expands.”The Houston Airport System says it is open to other airlines joining Hobby’s international terminal in the future. Sharelast_img read more

Researchers question Apolloera evidence for the Late Heavy Bombardment

first_img Journal information: Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences Application of laser microprobe technology to Apollo samples refines lunar impact history Explore further Citation: Researchers question Apollo-era evidence for the Late Heavy Bombardment (2016, October 4) retrieved 18 August 2019 from https://phys.org/news/2016-10-apollo-era-evidence-late-heavy-bombardment.html Late Heavy Bombardment. One interpretation of lunar soil analysis suggests that four billion years ago the inner solar system was a violent place, gravitational perturbations of the orbits of the gas giants initiated a comet shower which in turn deflected many asteroids into the paths of the Earth and Moon. Erosion has removed most of the craters from the Earth but the Moon’s ancient landscape still bears the scars. Credit: Australian National University But these results are controversial—Apollo lunar samples represent only about 4 percent of the lunar surface and could thus have resulted from a single impact event rather than a more widespread bombardment episode. And due to lunar magnetism and overprinting from successive impacts, all of the Apollo-era lunar samples show evidence of 40Ar/39Ar age spectrum disturbances—in other words, the apparent ages of samples could have been “reset” by later impact events.So two researchers from the Department of Earth, Planetary and Space Sciences at the University of California, Los Angeles, recently reanalyzed the age spectra data from the Apollo samples in order to test the uniqueness of their impact histories. To do so, they used a physical model describing 40Ar* diffusive loss that accounted for age resetting of samples by subsequent impacts. The point of this reanalysis wasn’t to confirm or disconfirm the existence of the Late Heavy Bombardment, but rather to determine whether 40Ar/39Ar can even act as evidence for impact spikes. Their results, recently published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, strongly suggest that episodic crust formation occurring more than 4 billion years ago, combined with 40Ar* loss due to a decrease in impact flux can create a bias in age compilations toward the illusion of an impact spike. “Our modeling shows that, due to the nature of declining impact rates and the early but episodic nature of crust formation on extraterrestrial bodies, apparent bombardment episodes can be a common artifact in 40Ar/39Ar plateau age histograms,” the authors write.They note that although the most widely cited evidence in favor of the LHB likely yields unreliable impact histories, their modeling does not preclude the occurrence of such events. However, determining impact histories will rely on future studies incorporating such techniques as in situ 40Ar/39Ar modeling and quantitative thermochronologic modeling. “Until such evidence is gathered,” the authors write, “we conclude that a monotonic decrease in impactor flux explains all existing 40Ar/39Ar data from both lunar and meteoritic samples.”center_img (Phys.org)—Many scientists believe that a cataclysmic series of impact events called the Late Heavy Bombardment (LHB) occurred around 4.1 to 3.9 billion years ago, during which there was a spike in asteroids colliding with the planets of the inner solar system. Among the possible explanations for the LHB is the migration of large planets to the outer solar system, disrupting objects in the asteroid belt and the Kuiper belt and flinging them toward the inner solar system.The Earth is constantly resurfaced by erosion and cratonic growth, and as a result, can’t contribute much geologic data about the existence of the LHB. Much of the evidence is therefore derived from the moon—specifically, from Apollo-era lunar samples returned to Earth in the 1960s and 1970s. Researchers used argon dating to determine age spectra of lunar rocks found in three major lunar basins. The so-called “plateau ages” of these rocks, as determined from 40Ar/39Ar age spectra, suggest a cluster of impacts approximately 3.9 billion years ago. More information: Illusory Late Heavy Bombardments. PNAS (2016). DOI: 10.1073/pnas.1611535113AbstractThe Late Heavy Bombardment (LHB), a hypothesized impact spike at ∼3.9 Ga, is one of the major scientific concepts to emerge from Apollo-era lunar exploration. A significant portion of the evidence for the existence of the LHB comes from histograms of 40Ar/39Ar “plateau” ages (i.e., regions selected on the basis of apparent isochroneity). However, due to lunar magmatism and overprinting from subsequent impact events, virtually all Apollo-era samples show evidence for 40Ar/39Ar age spectrum disturbances, leaving open the possibility that partial 40Ar* resetting could bias interpretation of bombardment histories due to plateaus yielding misleadingly young ages. We examine this possibility through a physical model of 40Ar* diffusion in Apollo samples and test the uniqueness of the impact histories obtained by inverting plateau age histograms. Our results show that plateau histograms tend to yield age peaks, even in those cases where the input impact curve did not contain such a spike, in part due to the episodic nature of lunar crust or parent body formation. Restated, monotonically declining impact histories yield apparent age peaks that could be misinterpreted as LHB-type events. We further conclude that the assignment of apparent 40Ar/39Ar plateau ages bears an undesirably high degree of subjectivity. When compounded by inappropriate interpretations of histograms constructed from plateau ages, interpretation of apparent, but illusory, impact spikes is likely. © 2016 Phys.org This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.last_img read more

Its KPop time again

first_imgA Korean music festival, incorporating a mix of dance, ballad, electronic, rock, hip-hop and R&B among other styles of pop music is scheduled to be held in the city soon.Organised by the Korean Cultural Centre, part of the Korean Embassy the K-POP festival, which is currently in its third edition is set to be held on 30 August here according to organisers.Apart from the national capital, Mumbai, Chennai and Dimapur are the other cities, which will play host to the festival. Also Read – ‘Playing Jojo was emotionally exhausting’The festival is currently seeking applications for participation from aspiring singers and dancers who can send in videos of their performances to organisers.‘K-POP fever has amplified in India and we were overwhelmed by the enthusiasm of the people last year’, says Kim Kum Pyoung, Director, Korean Cultural Centre.He further adds, ‘It’s the ultimate platform to showcase the talent and personality of very gifted performer chosen from all corners of India!’ Meanwhile, winning teams at the upcoming festival would be awarded an all expenses paid trip to South Korea sponsored by the Korean Cultural Centre (KCC) and Korea Tourist Organization (KTO).They will also get an opportunity to perform in the K-POP World Festival in Changwon, organisers said.last_img read more

WhatsApp messages to be under scanner during poll period CEC

first_imgChief election commissioner VS Sampath on Thursday said any offensive material on social media during election period will be strictly dealt with.‘The chief secretary and the DGP were told to instruct the police stations to register complaints against obnoxious material on social media during election period,’ Sampath said at a press conference here.last_img

Smoke scare forces aircraft to make emergency landing

first_imgKolkata: An aircraft of a private airline made an emergency landing at the Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose International (NSCBI) Airport in Kolkata on Monday night, after smoke was traced inside the cabin. While approaching the NSCBI Airport, smoke started spreading further inside the aircraft.Sources informed that on Monday night at around 10:40 pm, the Air Traffic Control (ATC) of NSCBI Airport received an SOS message from a flight coming from Ahmadabad via Jaipur. The pilot informed that due to some unknown reasons, smoke spread all over inside the aircraft. Passengers became panic stricken due to the smoke and some even had breathing problem. Also Read – Rain batters Kolkata, cripples normal lifeImmediately, ATC officials arranged for an emergency landing, with all the necessary system such as fire tenders, ambulances and other logistics in place. All other flight operations were halted for the time being. A few minutes later the flight safely landed at the airport. The 139 passengers on board were evacuated using a ‘slipper’ through the emergency exit. After evacuation, the aircraft was quarantined and taken to a safe distance. Later, engineers were called to check the aircraft. But no fault could be detected. Later, the flight was grounded till an overall check. According to airport sources, it would be checked again if there is any glitch. According to sources, engineers are working to detect the problem in the aircraft.last_img read more