Jun 19, 2008 (CIDRAP News) – The World Health Organization (WHO) said today that Indonesia has officially notified it of two recent fatal human cases of H5N1 avian influenza that were reported previously by the news media.The reporting to the WHO of the cases in a 16-year-girl and a 34-year-old woman comes 2 weeks after Health Minister Siti Fadilah Supari said Indonesia would stop announcing cases as they occur and instead list them only at longer intervals, perhaps as long as 6 months. The comments raised questions about the government’s compliance with the International Health Regulations (IHR), which call for countries to promptly report human cases of avian flu and certain other diseases to the WHO.David Heymann of the WHO drew a distinction between Indonesia’s public announcements of H5N1 cases and its reports to the WHO, according to a Reuters report published today.”The minister [Supari] has told WHO they will not continue to share publicly whenever there is a new case but they will inform the WHO in conformity with IHR,” said Heymann, who is the WHO’s assistant director-general for health security and environment.Heymann told Reuters the WHO encourages all governments to provide information freely to their populations, but it is their decision.Today’s WHO statement, citing information from the Indonesian health ministry, said the 16-year-old girl was from South Jakarta and fell ill on May 7; she was hospitalized May 12 and died 2 days later. There was evidence that she had been exposed to sick and dead poultry, the agency said.Supari had reported the girl’s case to the Associated Press (AP) 2 weeks ago but had described her as a 15-year-old.The WHO said the 34-year-old woman was from Tangerang district, west of Jakarta. She became ill May 26 and died Jun 3 after a day in a hospital. An investigation into the source of her exposure was continuing.The AP on Jun 13 had reported that a 34-year-old woman named Susi Lisnawati had died of avian flu on Jun 3. Several government officials who requested anonymity had confirmed the case, but the government had not informed the woman’s husband that she had the virus, according to the story.The two latest cases raise the WHO’s H5N1 count for Indonesia, the hardest-hit country, to 135 cases with 110 deaths. The global count has reached 385 cases, including 243 deaths.Heymann told Reuters that Indonesian authorities were trying to confirm another suspected H5N1 case that was fatal.According to Reuters, another WHO official said the agency has a good relationship with Indonesia, despite the country’s reluctance to share H5N1 virus isolates. Indonesia is seeking guarantees that it will receive a supply of any vaccines developed from the isolates it provides.”There is a strong working relationship between the WHO country office and the government,” John Rainford, a WHO spokesman in Geneva, told Reuters. “Even if there is a conflict on issues like virus-sharing, it hasn’t eroded the ability to carry out joint investigations.”A WHO official who requested anonymity told CIDRAP News this week that the agency had been aware of recent H5N1 cases in Indonesia despite the delay in receiving official notification.Speaking before the latest case confirmations, the official said, “The fact that you don’t yet have official notification of any cases doesn’t mean there isn’t unofficial awareness.” He said the two recent cases didn’t change WHO experts’ assessment of the risk posed by the virus.If the cases had signaled more of a threat, the information would have been handled differently, he suggested. “If we were dealing with something much more serious, I think there would be a very, very different approach by all involved in getting the information. If you had a cluster of something behaving in an unusual fashion, the pressure to share it would be very high.”See also: Jun 13 CIDRAP News story “Indonesian government mum as AP reports H5N1 case”Jun 5 CIDRAP News story “Indonesia quits offering prompt notice of H5N1 cases”
SHARE Email Facebook Twitter April 05, 2019 Gov. Wolf to Highlight Pennsylvania’s Opioid Response to New Governors at National Summit National Issues, Press Release, Substance Use Disorder Harrisburg, PA – Governor Tom Wolf will be a featured participant at the National Governors Association’s (NGA) Opioid Summit for New Administrations, Monday in Washington, D.C., presenting Pennsylvania’s efforts to address the opioid crisis in a 45-minute question-and-answer session with NGA CEO Scott Pattison. Pennsylvania’s response has been hailed as a national model by the American Medical Association.“I’m really pleased to be able to take the initiatives, successes and lessons learned in Pennsylvania to my fellow governors at the NGA Opioid Summit,” Gov. Wolf said. “While there is still a lot of work to do, Pennsylvania is beginning to see positive results of the efforts of state agencies and organizations working together on fighting the opioid crisis at every level. My hope is that what we are doing in Pennsylvania can be both instructive and inspirational to states struggling with this national health crisis.”Since Gov. Wolf took office, his administration has been fighting the opioid epidemic with a multi-pronged approach, focused on multiple initiatives. Here’s what Gov. Wolf has done:• Expanded Medicaid in 2015 so now more than 125,000 Pennsylvania Medicaid recipients are receiving treatment for substance use disorder.• Signed a statewide disaster declaration to enhance state response, increase access to treatment and save lives. The Opioid Operational Command Center is the hub of activity for coordinating the fight against this health crisis.• Implemented 45 Centers of Excellence to provide whole-person-centered care for people suffering from substance use disorder. To date, more than 11,000 people are receiving care in their communities thanks to the Centers of Excellence.• Expanded the state’s Prescription Drug Monitoring Program to practically eliminate doctor-shopping for opioids and reduce the number of prescriptions written for these medications.• Equipped first responders with live-saving naloxone to reverse overdoses. To date emergency medical service providers have administered 18,560 doses of naloxone, leaving behind 657 doses.• Added non-fatal overdoses and neonatal abstinence syndrome (NAS) as reportable conditions. So far, hospitals and birthing centers have reported 2,359 cases of neonatal abstinence syndrome in newborns so that state efforts can focus on the epidemic’s youngest sufferers.• More than 1,500 birth certificate fees have been waived for patients to get into treatment.• More than 5,000 people have been connected to treatment after an overdose via the warm handoff program.• The 24/7 Get Help Now hotline has received more than 40,000 calls looking for information or to connect someone with a local treatment provider. Of those callers, 45 percent have been directly connected to treatment.• More than 269 tons of drugs were collected and destroyed by law enforcement from the more than 800 drug take-back boxes across the commonwealth.• Awarded $15 million in housing grants to help individuals overcome barriers to treatment and recovery.Gov. Wolf will detail these and other efforts the state has planned and under way to continue to battle this crisis.The NGA Opioid Summit is a two-day meeting in Washington, D.C. that will bring together health and public safety leaders from 33 states and territories to discuss best practices and learn from other state and national experts.The summit is designed to support states that are pursuing a coordinated and effective response to the opioid epidemic. Discussions will focus on best practices for prevention, treatment and recovery, as well as funding and governance structures to support state efforts.
Facebook Twitter Google+ In less than an hour, Syracuse will cap off its 2013 season against Minnesota in the Texas Bowl. Beat writers David Wilson, Stephen Bailey and Trevor Hass offer up their predictions:David Wilson: Minnesota 28, Syracuse 24Everything’s biggerWinning three bowl games in four years would have been unheard of for the Orange five years ago, when the program was at its lowest. SU won’t get that third win, but simply making it to three in four years is a remarkable step for Syracuse. Both teams are going to pound the ball, but the Golden Gophers pound it just a little bit better. David Cobb is as good as any of the Orange’s running backs and defensive tackle Ra’Shede Hageman, a potential first-round pick, will be clogging up some holes.Stephen Bailey: Minnesota 27, Syracuse 17Bowled overSyracuse’s defense should expect to be on the field for a long time. Heavy doses of David Cobb and the Minnesota short passing game will ultimately wear down the Orange’s strong front seven as Terrel Hunt and Co. will have difficultly moving the ball through the air. Gophers defensive tackle Ra’Shede Hageman will give SU fits up front, just as Pittsburgh’s Aaron Donald and Wake Forest’s Nikita Whitlock did earlier in the season, and Minnesota will pack the box to keep Jerome Smith and the rest of Syracuse’s running backs in check. Despite the loss, Syracuse makes it a game and gets important ESPN face time.Trevor Hass: Minnesota 31, Syracuse 20Gold rushSyracuse and Minnesota are actually pretty similar teams in terms of strengths and weaknesses. Both teams feature run-heavy offense, pride themselves on hard-nosed football and boast experienced defenses. The only difference? Minnesota doesn’t turn the ball over nearly as much. Late turnovers will cost the Orange on Friday as SU fails to finish a winnable game. David Cobb becomes the first player to rush for 100 yards against Syracuse this season and the Gophers pull away in the fourth quarter. SU’s season is still a success, but the senior class’s legacy isn’t cemented down South. Comments AdvertisementThis is placeholder text Published on December 27, 2013 at 4:57 pm