Indonesia confirms 2 recent avian flu deaths

first_imgJun 19, 2008 (CIDRAP News) – The World Health Organization (WHO) said today that Indonesia has officially notified it of two recent fatal human cases of H5N1 avian influenza that were reported previously by the news media.The reporting to the WHO of the cases in a 16-year-girl and a 34-year-old woman comes 2 weeks after Health Minister Siti Fadilah Supari said Indonesia would stop announcing cases as they occur and instead list them only at longer intervals, perhaps as long as 6 months. The comments raised questions about the government’s compliance with the International Health Regulations (IHR), which call for countries to promptly report human cases of avian flu and certain other diseases to the WHO.David Heymann of the WHO drew a distinction between Indonesia’s public announcements of H5N1 cases and its reports to the WHO, according to a Reuters report published today.”The minister [Supari] has told WHO they will not continue to share publicly whenever there is a new case but they will inform the WHO in conformity with IHR,” said Heymann, who is the WHO’s assistant director-general for health security and environment.Heymann told Reuters the WHO encourages all governments to provide information freely to their populations, but it is their decision.Today’s WHO statement, citing information from the Indonesian health ministry, said the 16-year-old girl was from South Jakarta and fell ill on May 7; she was hospitalized May 12 and died 2 days later. There was evidence that she had been exposed to sick and dead poultry, the agency said.Supari had reported the girl’s case to the Associated Press (AP) 2 weeks ago but had described her as a 15-year-old.The WHO said the 34-year-old woman was from Tangerang district, west of Jakarta. She became ill May 26 and died Jun 3 after a day in a hospital. An investigation into the source of her exposure was continuing.The AP on Jun 13 had reported that a 34-year-old woman named Susi Lisnawati had died of avian flu on Jun 3. Several government officials who requested anonymity had confirmed the case, but the government had not informed the woman’s husband that she had the virus, according to the story.The two latest cases raise the WHO’s H5N1 count for Indonesia, the hardest-hit country, to 135 cases with 110 deaths. The global count has reached 385 cases, including 243 deaths.Heymann told Reuters that Indonesian authorities were trying to confirm another suspected H5N1 case that was fatal.According to Reuters, another WHO official said the agency has a good relationship with Indonesia, despite the country’s reluctance to share H5N1 virus isolates. Indonesia is seeking guarantees that it will receive a supply of any vaccines developed from the isolates it provides.”There is a strong working relationship between the WHO country office and the government,” John Rainford, a WHO spokesman in Geneva, told Reuters. “Even if there is a conflict on issues like virus-sharing, it hasn’t eroded the ability to carry out joint investigations.”A WHO official who requested anonymity told CIDRAP News this week that the agency had been aware of recent H5N1 cases in Indonesia despite the delay in receiving official notification.Speaking before the latest case confirmations, the official said, “The fact that you don’t yet have official notification of any cases doesn’t mean there isn’t unofficial awareness.” He said the two recent cases didn’t change WHO experts’ assessment of the risk posed by the virus.If the cases had signaled more of a threat, the information would have been handled differently, he suggested. “If we were dealing with something much more serious, I think there would be a very, very different approach by all involved in getting the information. If you had a cluster of something behaving in an unusual fashion, the pressure to share it would be very high.”See also: Jun 13 CIDRAP News story “Indonesian government mum as AP reports H5N1 case”Jun 5 CIDRAP News story “Indonesia quits offering prompt notice of H5N1 cases”last_img read more

Bastian Schweinsteiger: United need killer instinct

first_img United missed the chance to go top last weekend when they drew at Leicester and now they are three points behind Claudio Ranieri’s side. Schweinsteiger believes United’s poor finishing is costing them dearly. “In every game we create chances but haven’t scored. When that is the case it is not easy to win matches,” the United midfielder said. “The guy who has the opportunity has to feel that they want to score a goal and are going to score. “If you miss a chance you have to be unhappy. When you are a big striker like (Cristiano) Ronaldo, (Lionel) Messi and Thomas Muller (it is) the same. It is about attitude. They want to score goals. They have quality but they want to score goals. You need the attitude that you want to score. “The feeling that the players want to score, we need to have more of this. We are trying but we need a goal otherwise you cannot talk about winning a trophy because we should be winning at home to West Ham. “Players are not scared in front of goal. It is all about the killer instinct. We have players who have the abilities but we need it in every game.” That killer instinct must return by the time United take to the field in Wolfsburg on Tuesday night otherwise they are likely to exit the Champions League. United dropped to fourth in the Premier League on Saturday after recording their sixth 0-0 draw this season. Anthony Martial, Jesse Lingard, Marouane Fellaini and Schweinsteiger squandered good opportunities to record a much-needed win. Only victory will guarantee United’s progress to the last 16, but Louis van Gaal is not worried about another no-show from his forwards “A lot of players have missed chances against West Ham,” the United manager said. “We can make a big issue of it but I don’t believe we have to do that. “I have great confidence that we shall score at Wolfsburg.” The United board expected Van Gaal to lead his team through their group untroubled. But after drawing 0-0 at home to PSV Eindhoven last month, there is a real danger United will drop into the Europa League, which will deal a big blow to the club’s credibility and that of their manager too. “We don’t want to be eliminated,” Van Gaal added. “But in sport it is always possible. You can’t win every year or every game. It’s not like that. “It’s a very important game for us at this moment because of the situation. We are not scoring out of many chances and we have to score at Wolfsburg. “We could be out. And that is bad for everybody, for the club, for the players and for the manager.” United, already without Wayne Rooney, Marcos Rojo, Antonio Valencia, Ander Herrera, Luke Shaw and Phil Jones, look like taking a depleted squad to Wolfsburg for Tuesday’s crunch Champions League match. Paddy McNair and Morgan Schneiderlin were both substituted against West Ham and may now miss the match in Germany. “Paddy McNair has an ankle problem and Schneiderlin is a little bit stiff in the hip, so we have to wait and see as always on that,” Van Gaal said. “I hope they can play on Tuesday but it is a very short [turnaround] so it is a very big question mark.” Schweinsteiger, meanwhile, could face retrospective punishment by the Football Association for an off-the-ball elbow on Winston Reid on Saturday. “It was a clear red card, a straight red without any doubt,” West Ham manager Slaven Bilic said. “I can’t blame the referee (Mark Clattenburg) because he didn’t see it, it happens. “I can’t blame the officials, no matter how disappointed we are.” Bastian Schweinsteiger says Manchester United must forget talk of a title challenge unless they rediscover their killer instinct in front of goal. Press Associationlast_img read more

Nurkic in Denver until 2017?

first_imgBH basketball player Jusuf Nurkic, who is currently playing for the NBA team Denver Nuggets, should stay in this team until 2017; it was published yesterday on the official site of the club.Namely, Denver decided to take advantage of the option in the contract of Jusuf Nurkic and Gary Harris, which refers to their staying in the club in the season 2016/2017.Information was published by the Deputy Sports Director of the club Tim Connelly.It was stated on the official site of the club that Nurkic was the 16th pick at the NBA draft in 2016, while Harris was the 19th pick.In the past season, Nurkic recorded an average of 17.8 minutes per match, 6.9 points and 6.2 rebounds.(Source: klix.ba)last_img