By Andréa Barretto / Diálogo November 18, 2019 Since September 2, oil has contaminated 494 coastal locations in 10 Brazilian states. The oil spill has washed up on beaches spanning over 1,300 miles and is considered the worst environmental disaster on the Brazilian coastline.Press and government officials said an analysis by Brazilian Oil Company Petrobras confirmed the crude oil mix was not of Brazilian origin. “The oil heading our way is likely from Venezuela, just as Petrobras’ research suggests. It seems it’s a type of oil that comes from a foreign ship navigating close to Brazil’s coast,” said Ricardo Salles, Brazilian Minister of the Environment, at a hearing before the Environment and Sustainable Development Commission of the House of Representatives, on October 9.The statement prompted a reaction from the Nicolás Maduro regime, which denied Venezuela’s responsibility for the oil spill. “Petróleos de Venezuela [PDVSA] categorically rejects the statements of Brazilian Minister of the Environment Ricardo Salles accusing Venezuela of being responsible for the crude oil that has been contaminating Brazil’s northeastern beaches since early September,” said a joint press release from the Ministry of Oil and state-owned company PDVSA.According to the document, neither customers nor subsidiaries of the company have reported a possible leak or damage near the Brazilian coast. It further claims that their facilities lie about 4,130 miles from the Brazilian area where the spills appeared.“The indication that the oil is of Venezuelan origin is based on Petrobras’ technical laboratory analysis. The hypothesis is that the oil could have been leaked from ships navigating along Brazil’s coast, and not necessarily from the Venezuelan dictatorship’s fields,” countered Salles in an interview with Brazilian daily Folha de São Paulo.Brazilian Navy service members work to clean the beaches of the northeastern coast with volunteers. In early November, MB reported that oil and associated waste had reached nearly 4,300 tons. (Photo: Brazilian Navy)ResearchBrazil’s government is investigating the cause and possible origins of the oil spill. The Ministry of the Environment is leading a research taskforce that includes the Ministry of Defense, Petrobras, and several other federal and state agencies.Petrobras President Roberto Castello Branco said three hypotheses are being considered: a sunken ship, an accident during the transfer of oil between ships, or a criminal spill.The investigation recommended screening merchant traffic information along the northeastern coast. As such, the Brazilian Navy (MB, in Portuguese) notified 30 tankers of 10 different flags to provide clarifications. “MB is in contact with the competent authorities of flag countries, with the International Maritime Organization, and the Federal Police to clarify the facts,” MB said.As of November 7, MB reported that nearly 4,300 tons of oil and associated waste had been picked up from northeastern beaches. Hundreds of volunteers and civil organizations took part in the cleanup effort. Navy teams are also on the field, with about 1,600 service members, five ships, an aircraft, as well as vessels and vehicles from port captaincies, police delegations, and agencies based along the coastline.
Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York By the time Nov. 5, 2013 rolled around, Tom Suozzi had run out of pizzazz. He was an also-ran with a message about suburban revitalization that was right on the merits (see the New York Times’ endorsement) but had little connection to the audience he needed to reach. In fact, the longer his campaign wore on, the more Nassau Democratic voters stayed home.But look what was happening across the city line. Anybody on Long Island with any liberal-leaning political activism in their genes was excited about Bill de Blasio’s race. He was taking the progressive agenda by the horns and speaking truth to power, even if it meant challenging Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s moderate methodology to do no harm to the plutocrats who call New York home (especially if they happen to live in GOP Sen. Dean Skelos’s Nassau district).Related: Inside the Secret World of Long Island Politics – Election 2013Where was Suozzi’s progressive agenda? If he had it, it didn’t sound like it, or it didn’t make enough noise to be heard above the coverage of the New York City mayoral race. A more progressive agenda for the suburbs would have taken a harder look at Nassau’s status as one of the richest—and stingiest—in the country. The needs are great, the problems are severe. The money is there, but the will is not. And the majority will continue to suffer as our region declines.The traditional approaches taken by Nassau Democratic chairman Jay Jacobs to push Suozzi over the top weren’t strong enough. Jacobs let loose rounds of robo-calls but they just turned people off. He hosted President Clinton in Great Neck, who certainly got party leaders excited, but their enthusiasm wasn’t contagious. Jacobs played the anti-Tea Party card, but he lost that bet because any campaign literature emblazoned with the words “Tea Party” was immediately consigned to the trash can. The rancor over the fanatics’ role in the federal shutdown had faded away—and it wasn’t a local issue to begin with. Besides, that negative branding was too discordant with the politics here. Nassau Republicans are too pro-government services to be lumped into that right-wing fringe—although they don’t want to pay the tab, of course.Third Time’s Not the Charm: Jay Jacobs stands next to Tom Suozzi and his wife Helene as the former two-term Nassau County Executive concedes the election on Nov. 5. (Spencer Rumsey/Long Island Press)Meanwhile, practically every taxi cab in the county showed nothing but gratitude for Ed Mangano. So where was the attempt to recast that slogan? Karl Rove, W’s “turd blossom” mastermind, would have turned that ubiquitous message into an embarrassment: “Thanks for doing nothing, Ed!” If Rove couldn’t cover his opponent in slime, he’d turn his adversary’s attributes into a smear. Now, almost everyone can agree that Ed’s a nice guy yet he’s surrounded by not so nice guys. They may not govern in the public interest but they sure know how to stay on message. Their discipline on that front is impressive. Tellingly, Mangano’s insiders weren’t depending on the Republican machine alone to get the job done. Look at their backing of former Freeport Mayor Andrew Hardwick’s cynical “We Count” campaign, which depended on the deep pockets of Oheka Castle’s Gary Melius for support, and their launch of the sham Green Party candidacy of Phillipp Negron, who wasn’t even an official party member before he got a public works job with the Mangano administration.If the Nassau Democrats made political hay out of these tricks, I never saw it stick. The Democrats had months—if not years, considering they were re-running the former county executive—to get creative and they flopped miserably. Suozzi has personal appeal, like a home-grown JFK. Yet he came from the recycle bin, with a lot of baggage, justified or not. Adam Haber, his primary opponent, had some interesting ideas but he started from the top down, not from the grassroots up. In retrospect, maybe Suozzi should have debated Haber in every venue they could, rather than act like the aloof front-runner he was and refuse to engage until the end. At least he would have shown a lot more Nassau Democrats that he wasn’t taking their votes for granted.If party leaders had decided to double down on Suozzi’s candidacy from the get-go, shouldn’t they have anticipated the Republicans’ line of attack? Mangano spokesman Brian Nevin never let a chance go by in the media when he didn’t portray Suozzi as a tax-hiking hellhound. In contrast, Suozzi’s team seemed to be constantly scrambling for traction. You can’t defeat an affable incumbent by sputtering windy expostulations heavily weighed down with nuances. And you need something to excite your base to come out on a Tuesday and vote in an “off-off-off-year election” (as Suffolk Democratic chairman Richie Schaffer dubbed it).What was Jay Jacobs thinking? De Blasio lit a fire in NYC. Here, Suozzi was doused before the match was struck.
TEMPE, Ariz. — The Angels signed veteran outfielder Chris Young to a one-year, $2 million deal on Sunday, likely filling their fourth outfielder spot.The club also agreed with former home run champ Chris Carter on a minor-league deal, getting depth to replace traded C.J. Cron.Young, 34, spent last season with the Boston Red Sox. He hit .235 with a .709 OPS. Young can play all three outfield positions, so he seems likely to be the backup to Mike Trout, Justin Upton and Kole Calhoun. Before the deal, non-roster invitees Eric Young Jr. and Rymer Liriano were the leading candidates to win that job.Young can make an additional $500,000 in incentives based on plate appearances. Carter, 31, led the National League with 41 homers with the Milwaukee Brewers in 2016. Last year, though, he struggled to find a job as a free agent and eventually played 62 games with the New York Yankees, hitting .201 with eight homers.Carter has hit 158 homers in parts of eight major league seasons, including stops with the Oakland A’s and Houston Astros.If Carter makes the team, he will reportedly earn $1.75 million, with an additional $600,000 possible in incentives.Carter could find a spot with the Angels if there is an injury to one of the primary infielders: Albert Pujols, Ian Kinsler, Andrelton Simmons or Zack Cozart. Luis Valbuena plays first and third, and Cozart plays third, shortstop and second, so those two provide the primary backups at the four infield spots. If someone gets hurt, the roster shuffle would create a spot for Carter.The Angels traded Cron because they couldn’t afford to keep a player who played only first base as one of their likely three bench players. Cron, however, did not have options, so they couldn’t keep in the minors as insurance. Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error