The Canadian PressThe Manitoba Metis Federation says it is taking the province to court in a dispute over planned hydro projects.Metis federation president David Chartrand Tuesday with Crown Services Minister Cliff Cullen and Manitoba Hydro to discuss a deal between the federation and the Crown utility.In March, Premier Brian Pallister quashed a $67-million deal that had been negotiated between the federation and Manitoba Hydro to help support a transmission line to Minnesota. The premier called it “persuasion money.”The federation said at the time it would file for a judicial review to overturn the decision because, it argued, the agreement was legally binding.“We were hoping that the province would have come forward with a position of an olive branch, given that we believe strongly that the agreement was negotiated between ourselves and Hydro,” said Chartrand.“They are not willing to sit down and they are going to overrule Hydro, which we believe they don’t have the legal right to do.”He said the federation has given its lawyers the green light to go ahead with court action, probably within the next week.Cullen said the two sides have agreed to disagree on the matter.“They feel it was an agreement,” he said. “Our understanding is that it’s really a proposal.”Cullen said the ball is in the Metis federation’s court.“It’s really up to them on how they want to proceed,” he said. “We’ll wait and see what their undertaking is.”Despite the disagreement on the transmission line, Cullen said the government is committed to consulting with the Metis federation.Nine of 10 Hydro board members resigned in March over what they said was Pallister’s refusal to meet with them to discuss important issues, including Indigenous rights.
News JAY-Z’s music festival returns to Philadelphia for its eighth year, on Aug. 31 & Sept. 1Ana YglesiasGRAMMYs Apr 2, 2019 – 6:21 pm Today, the Made In America Festival, started by JAY-Z in 2012, announced the lineup for its 2019 fest, featuring GRAMMY nominee Travis Scott and GRAMMY winner Cardi B as the headliners. The two-day event is set to take place in Philadelphia Aug. 31–Sept. 1, and will also include performances from GRAMMY winners Anderson .Paak, with The Free Nationals, James Blake and Kaskade. Fellow Made In America headliner Scott, who just closed out the second leg of his successful Astroworld Tour, will also be performing a select number of festivals, as well as Boston Calling and Rolling Loud in Miami. He and Cardi will also be part of the opening weekend parties at the new KAOS club in Las Vegas.Tickets to Made In America go on sale to the general public this Friday, April 5, with a TIDAL pre-sale currently up and running; more ticket info is available on the fest’s site.Kanye West Will Bring His “Sunday Service” To Coachella 2019 Email 61st GRAMMY Awards first-time nominees Jorja Smith and Tierra Whack are also on the bill, along with rising rappers Juice WRLD and Blueface, among others. The eighth annual festival will take place outdoors at Philly’s Benjamin Franklin Parkway, and is a great way to close out a busy festival season.Cardi is fresh off her first-time GRAMMY win this February, where she took home Best Rap Album for her debut LP, Invasion Of Privacy. The rap queen will be making her rounds at several other festivals around the globe this year, including Hangout Fest in Alabama and Primavera Sound in Barcelona, Spain. Travis Scott & Cardi B To Headline Made In America travis-scott-cardi-b-headline-2019-made-america-festival Travis Scott & Cardi B To Headline The 2019 Made In America Festival https://twitter.com/MIAFestival/status/1113141671687057410 Twitter Facebook NETWORK ERRORCannot Contact ServerRELOAD YOUR SCREEN OR TRY SELECTING A DIFFERENT VIDEO Feb 10, 2019 – 9:38 pm Watch: Cardi B Wins Best Rap Album
Tiger Woods ended his major title drought with victory at Augusta MastersreutersWhen he won his fifth Masters title and 15th major championship on April 14, Tiger Woods regained his place at the top of the golfing world. This victory ends a drought of 11 years without a major title, a period which saw the 43-year old going through mental and physical travails which left him looking like a spent force. But with this win, there is talk of resurgence and return to his top form.Tiger Woods was synonymous with golf about a decade ago. Even those who didn’t follow the sport knew his name. But then, in 2009, things came apart in a spectacular way when he was revealed to have been involved in several promiscuous relationships outside his marriage. Suddenly, this icon of the sport, seen as a role model, became a target of scorn.This personal disaster led to a complete breakdown in his professional life as well. The man who, at that time, had 14 major titles under his belt and seemed favourite to break Jack Nicklaus’ record of 18, went into a downward spiral.But the vagaries of sport can never be predicted. On Sunday, April 14, Tiger was back on a familiar perch – that of a champion at Augusta Masters. It was here that he announced his arrival as a future great when he secured his first major title at the age of 21. 13 more titles followed until a drought began following 2008 US Open. Tiger Woods reacts to win the Tour Championship golf tournament at East Lake Golf ClubreutersHis success brought the world’s attention back to golf. It is clear that even today, nobody commands as much stardom among golfers as Woods. US President Donald Trump, an avid golfer himself, tweeted praise for the star. “What a fantastic life comeback for a really great guy,” was the tweet from the leader of the country. He was joined by his predecessor Barack Obama who also showered praise on the 43-year old for recovering his form.Now that he is back to his winning ways, talk of him breaking Nicklaus’ record of 18 major titles has revived. Though he may not yet be back to his best – he scored a bogey on the last hole – but this victory can be a new start for the five-time Masters champion.As much as the emotional turmoil, the physical difficulties faced by Woods in the last decade were also of a high order. Serious surgeries on his back had caused considerable difficulties and even threatened to end his career. The fact that he could now compete and win at the highest level suggests that both on the emotional and physical front, Woods is back to his best. Can he follow this triumph with other great victories? Only time with tell.
Plane manufacturer Airbus broke ground on its first wide-body completion plant outside Europe in China on 2 March, while its CEO Fabrice Bregier said he saw no serious impact on the countrys aircraft market from a slowing economy.Airbus marked the handover of a completion and delivery centre for its wide-body A330 in Beijings neighbouring city of Tianjin, which will be a new addition to its existing assembly plant for A320 planes.At Airbus, we are honoured to play our part and to open a major new chapter in our cooperation with you here today. I have every confidence that this centre will be a great success, Bregier said at the handover ceremony, attended by Chinese officials.The CEO of Airbus says it expects Chinas aviation market, the worlds second-largest, to emerge unscathed from an economic slowdown thanks to robust demand for international travel.The economy is slowing down. This is true globally. This is not true for our market. And we believe that for the next five years, plus 10% growth year-on-year in already the second biggest market in the world, is extremely important and a very cautious assumption, Bregier told reporters.China has focused, rightly so, on single-aisles (narrow-body aircraft) a lot, and will continue to procure a lot of single-aisles. But I am sure the next step will be getting more wide-bodies. So perhaps one day there will be enough market to look at such a big investment, he added.Even though the Chinese economy has lost some steam, aircraft-makers like Airbus and Boeing remain buoyant about air travel demand in the country. Airbus expects China to need 5,400 new planes over 20 years and is considering hedging its bets there as a result. At the same time, it is studying whether it should increase the production rate of its A320 assembly line, Airbus China chief Eric Chen said.Boeing has also signed a cooperation document with Commercial Aircraft Corporation of China (COMAC) to build a completion centre for its 737 passenger jets in China.The number of Chinese leisure travellers going overseas for the first time topped 100m in 2014, official data shows. Foreign travel is tipped to grow another 10% this year as the United States, France and Australia ease visa policies.
BNP chairperson Khaleda ZiaAnti-Corruption Commission (ACC) on Sunday filed an appeal seeking tougher punishment for BNP chairperson Khaleda Zia in Zia Orphanage Trust graft case in which she was earlier sentenced to five years’ imprisonment. ACC lawyers submitted the appeal to the office concerned of the High Court in the morning. reports UNB.“We have completed the affidavit of the appeal seeking harsher punishment for Khaleda Zia in the Zia Orphanage Trust Graft case,” said Khurshid Alam Khan, one of lawyers for the ACC.On 19 March, the Appellate Division of the Supreme Court stayed BNP chairperson Khaleda Zia’s bail till 8 May in the graft case.The SC also allowed the state and the ACC to file petitions against HC order that granted bail to Khaleda fixing 8 May for next hearing.It also ordered the ACC and state to submit the concise statement of appeals within two weeks and BNP within four weeks.On 12 March, the High Court granted a four-month interim bail to Khaleda Zia.On 8 February last, the Dhaka Special Court-5 convicted the BNP chief and sentenced her to five years’ imprisonment in the case.Khaleda was then sent to old central jail at Nazimuddin Road in the city.The court read out a 632-page summarised version of the verdict on that day and it released the full 1174-page copy of the verdict on 19 February.
Award winning director Lisa Sabina Harney is screening her drama documentary Satyagraha-Truth Force in the Capital.Presented by Goddess Films in association with Harvard Club Of India this drama documentary tells the story of a group of humble Indian saints who believe the sanctity of their holy river – The Ganges – is being destroyed by corruption and a powerful mining lobby.They have been threatened, beaten, jailed and bribed. Two have died. Both were murdered, or so they believe. Also Read – ‘Playing Jojo was emotionally exhausting’Satyagraha – Truth Force follows the Satyagraha or hunger strike of Swami Shivanand as he fights with his life to protect the river and attempts to find justice for his disciple whom he believes was poisoned.Harney has spent 15 years working intensively as a writer, producer and director of award winning documentaries and docu-drama. She is the recipient of a Golden Eagle and Hugo Award and has been interviewed and published by the Guerrilla Filmmakers guide as an expert in dramatized documentary.The 91-minute movie will be screened in presence of Yogesh J Karan, High Commissioner, Republic of Fiji and will be followed by a discussion about the same.When: 9th January, 6 pm onwardsWhere: Alliance Française de Delhi
There seems to be a running battle between Google and its employees for quite some time now. A group of Google employees announced yesterday that they’re launching a public awareness social media campaign from 9 AM to 6 PM EST today. The group, called, ‘Googlers for ending forced arbitration’ aims to educate people about the forced arbitration policy via Instagram and Twitter where they will also share their experiences about the same with the world. The group has researched their fellow tech employees, academic institutions, labour attorneys, advocacy groups, etc as well as the contracts of around 30 major tech companies, as a part of its efforts. They also published a post on Medium, yesterday, stating that “ending forced arbitration is the gateway change needed to transparently address inequity in the workplace”. According to National Association of Consumer Advocates, “In forced arbitration, a company requires a consumer or employee to submit any dispute that may arise to binding arbitration as a condition of employment or buying a product or service. The employee or consumer is required to waive their right to sue, to participate in a class action lawsuit, or to appeal”. Demands for more transparency around Google’s sexual assault policies seems to have become a bone of contention for Google. For instance, two shareholders, namely, James Martin and two other pension funds sued Alphabet’s board members, last week, for protecting the top execs accused of sexual harassment. The lawsuit, which seeks major changes to Google’s corporate governance, also urges for more clarity surrounding Google’s policies. Similarly, Liz Fong Jones, developer advocate at Google Cloud platform, revealed earlier this month, that she’s planning to leave the firm due to Google showing lack of leadership in case of the demands made by employees during the Google walkout. It was back in November 2018 when over 20,000 Google employees organized Google “walkout for real change” and walked out of their offices along with temps and contractors to protest against the discrimination, racism, and sexual harassment encountered within Google. Google employees had made five demands as part of the walkout, including ending forced arbitration for all employees (including temps) in cases of sexual harassment and other forms of discrimination. Now, although Google announced that it’s ending its forced Arbitration policy as a response to the walkout (a move that was soon followed by Facebook) back in November, Google employees are not convinced. They argue that the announcement only made up for strong headlines, and did not actually do enough for the employees. The employees mentioned that there were “no meaningful gains for worker equity … nor any actual change in employee contracts or future offer letters (as of this publication, we have confirmed Google is still sending out offer letters with the old arbitration policy)”. Moreover, forced arbitration still exists in Google for cases involving other forms of workplace harassment and discrimination issues that are non-sexual in nature. Google has made the forced arbitration policy optional only for individual cases of sexual assault for full-time employees and still exists for class-action lawsuits and thousands of contractors who work for the company. Additionally, the employee contracts in the US still have the arbitration waiver in effect. “Our leadership team responded to our five original demands with a handful of partial policy changes. The other ‘changes’ they announced simply re-stated our current, ineffective practices or introduced extraneous measures that are irrelevant to bringing equity to the workplace”, mentions the group in a blog post on Medium. Follow the public awareness campaign on the group’s Instagram and Twitter accounts. Read Next Recode Decode #GoogleWalkout interview shows why data and evidence don’t always lead to right decisions in even the world’s most data-driven company Tech Workers Coalition volunteers talk unionization and solidarity in Silicon Valley BuzzFeed Report: Google’s sexual misconduct policy “does not apply retroactively to claims already compelled to arbitration”
TORONTO — With summer school break just around the corner, Sunwing is giving parents some much-needed vacation inspiration with a new promotion on all-inclusive vacation packages.Available to book from now until May 25, these packages are available at top-rated resorts across the Caribbean, Mexico and Central America. Depending on the resort they select, families can make their summer travel budget go even further with Kids Stay, Play and Eat FREE deals, special teen pricing, rooms that sleep families of five and more.Included in the promotion is the new Royalton Bavaro Resort and Spa in Punta Cana, situated on the legendary Bavaro Beach. There’s also the Jewel Runaway Bay Beach and Golf Resort in Montego Bay, Jamaica, a family-friendly property that’s home to Montego Bay’s largest water park, on-site kids clubs and the 18-hole Runaway Bay Golf Club.One of the tour operator’s most consistently popular resorts is Family Club at Grand Riviera Princess All Suites & Spa Resort in Riviera Maya, Mexico, which offers spacious rooms for families, some of which include bunk beds for kids. Other amenities include an on-site water park, Mini and Teen Clubs, 12 pools, tennis, basketball, soccer and more.More news: Help Princess Cruises break the world record for largest vow renewal at seaAll vacation packages include return flights on Sunwing Airlines, which include a welcome sparkling wine toast, buy-onboard Sunwing Café menu with selections inspired by Food Network Canada Celebrity Chef Lynn Crawford, and backpacks for children filled with games and toys. Travelweek Group Posted by Share Tags: Sunwing << Previous PostNext Post >> Friday, May 18, 2018 School’s (almost) out! Celebrate with Sunwing’s Family Vacation sale