Liberia’s Delegation Arrives in Abu Dhabi for 2019 Special Olympics

first_imgThree athletes of the Liberia Special Olympic delegation to Abu DhabiLiberia’s Special Olympic team has arrived in Abu Dhabi, United Arabic Emirates for the 2019 Special Olympic World Games. The Special Olympic World Games is a multi-sport event for athletes with intellectual disabilities in the tradition of the Special Olympics movement.According to a dispatch from Deputy Youth and Sports Minister Andy Quamie, who traveled with the delegation, following the team’s arrival in Abu Dhabi, athlete Hassatou Duah won second place in her preliminary qualification race on Tuesday, March 12, in the 200m race, while Ehiabom Assaf secured the first spot in his preliminary qualification race to boost the country’s record at its debut at the Special Olympic World Games.Meanwhile, Samuel Smith’s race has been delayed due some errors on his registration papers emanating from the organizers. The team arrived on Monday, March 11, ahead of the official kickoff slated for March 14-21, 2019.The delegation includes Ethiabom Assaf (age 18), Hassatous Duah (16) and Samuel Smith (17). Krubo Wolobah Kokulo and Nyemah Yogi Yuoh will serve as Coaches for the athletes, while Yei Dolo is the medic. Deputy Youth and Sports Minister, Andy Quamie is serving as government’s representative and Celab Dunbar is serving as head the Liberian delegation.This year’s event will bring together about 7,500 athletes, 3,000 coaches and 20,000 volunteers from 190 countries. The Special Olympics is the world’s largest humanitarian sporting event and a global movement which focuses on the empowerment of People of Determination with intellectual disabilities through the power of sport.The event is under the Patronage of His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, whose leadership and vision have been instrumental in bringing together public and private sector partners to be a part of this worthy cause, the organizers said.  The Crown Prince Court led the winning bid efforts with a mission to promote positive social change for people with intellectual disabilities and create a more inclusive society.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Real Madrid says it will sue over Ronaldo ‘rape’ saga report

first_img0Shares0000A bus drives past an advertising poster for an underwear brand, showing a picture of Cristiano Ronaldo in Rome © AFP/File / Alberto PIZZOLIMADRID, Spain, Oct 11 – Real Madrid said Thursday it had filed a lawsuit against a Portuguese newspaper that wrote the Spanish giants pushed Cristiano Ronaldo to hush up an alleged rape case.Real said it had taken legal action against Correio da Manha after the paper reported Wednesday that “Real Madrid pressured him to sign” a non-disclosure accord and pay compensation to his accuser, Kathryn Mayorga. “Real Madrid has absolutely no knowledge of any of the information that the newspaper published with regard to the player Cristiano Ronaldo, and therefore the club could not have taken action on a matter of which it had no knowledge,” the club said in a statement.Ronaldo, 33, who left Real Madrid over the summer to join Italian champions Juventus in deal worth 100 million euros, has been in turmoil since a case involving rape allegations against him, dating back to 2009, was reopened by Las Vegas police last week.The case was originally closed after Ronaldo signed a confidentiality agreement in 2010 with Mayorga, a former model now aged 34, who received a pay-off in return for her silence.Mayorga alleged that she had been raped on June 13, 2009, just days after Ronaldo had signed a contract with Real Madrid in a mega transfer deal from Manchester United.The Portuguese newspaper reported that Real, wishing to avoid scandal, pressed Ronaldo to pay compensation to Mayorga to hush up the affair.Ronaldo’s lawyer insisted Wednesday the player did not rape the woman in a Las Vegas hotel and that their sexual encounter was “completely consensual.”“Once again, for the avoidance of doubt, Cristiano Ronaldo’s position has always been, and continues to be, that what happened in 2009 in Las Vegas was completely consensual,” lawyer Peter Christiansen said in a statement.Ronaldo freely admits signing the non-disclosure accord but his lawyer insisted he simply wished to put an end to the allegations.Christiansen also said that documents reproduced by media outlets in recent days purportedly quoting the player and including details of the non-disclosure accord involving a payment of 375,000 dollars to his accuser were false.He said “documents that allegedly contain statements by Cristiano Ronaldo and were reproduced in the media are pure invention.”Der Spiegel, the German magazine which published the story released a statement which said, in part: “Our story is carefully researched. We have hundreds of documents from different sources that substantiate our reporting.”0Shares0000(Visited 2 times, 1 visits today)last_img read more