Three killed in BSF firing in Tripura border

first_imgBSF shot dead three tribal villagers, including a woman, at a border location in south Tripura on Friday afternoon. Two villagers sustained injuries in the incident that occurred after residents allegedly attacked a security patrol following seizure of cattle meant for smuggling to Bangladesh.Police said tension was brewing in the tribal-dominated area since March 13 after BSF troops of 31battalion captured seven cattle at Bangamura in Sabroom subdivision. Friday’s incident occurred at Herbatali, near border pillar number 22043RI and 300 meter from Bangladesh border.BSF battalion Commandant T.S. Negi claimed a crowd attacked Assistant Sub Inspector Abhay Singh and Constable Rabi Datta after they foiled another cattle smuggling attempt on Friday afternoon. “Rabi Datta came under attack by people armed with sharp cutting weapons and he fired shots in self defense”, he told The Hindu by phone.He said Rabi Datta was injured in the attack. Mr. Negi said villagers refused to accept medical help from BSF medicos.While Mr. Negi could not give number of casualties, police confirmed death of three villagers. Sur Laxmi Tripura, 35, Min Kumar Tripura, 35 and Pora Kumar Tripura, 35 received bullet shots and died on the spot. Jiban Kumar Tripura and Prem Kumar Tripura were injured.Tension was running high in the area with villagers claiming they were protesting against rape of a tribal woman by BSF personnel before being fired upon. BSF troops were withdrawn from local post in view of current situation.Senior police officials arranged transfer of bodies and injured to a hospital after reaching the incident sport. Tribal political parties condemned the incident and demanded punishment of guilty BSF men.On July 22 last year a BSF trooper shot dead a woman at Tarapukur in Sonamura of Sepahijala district. The assailant allegedly made a rape attempt on young woman before firing.last_img read more

Afridi is Irresponsible

first_imgZaheer AbbasI don’t see Pakistan winning this World Cup. It’s not at all a strong team. Pakistan have only two good batsmen-Younis Khan and Misbah-ul-Haq. If these two fail in a match, there is no one to navigate the team out of a crisis. Younis Khan is an experienced player and knows how to play according to the situation. Though he started playing cricket at the international level very late-at the age of 27-Misbah has been improving with every game. What has impressed me most is his effort to spend maximum time at the crease.Our bowling has obviously lost the sheen. The team can’t depend on Shoaib Akhtar as he is not 100 per cent fit. He is limping and can break down any moment. There is no immediate replacement for Akhtar. It’s heartening to see him taking wickets but the team clearly misses the services of Mohammad Asif and Mohammad Amir who have had to sit out of the tournament due to their involvement in the spot fixing scam. Umar Gul has to be consistent and Abdur Razzaq can be effective only on fast wickets. I would also want to see Razzaq bat ahead of captain Shahid Afridi. Razzaq has won us several matches coming at No.6.Misbah-ul-HaqThe team is winning under Afridi but only a crisis will expose how good he is as a captain. He should bat only during slog overs as he doesn’t take responsibility. He wants to hit every ball for a six and doesn’t play according to the situation. He is now too old to change his style, so he should come out to bat only in the last six or seven overs. He should learn from Indian captain M.S. Dhoni. Dhoni was a pinch-hitter earlier, but ever since he became captain, he doesn’t throw his wicket.The Pakistan team is also one of the worst fielding sides in the tournament. They have to improve in this department quickly. Only then can the team hope to reach, at least, the semi-finals.advertisementZaheer Abbas is a former batsman of Pakistan. He spoke to Kaushik Deka. PITCH REPORT”There is pressure if you win, pressure if you lose. I would have told you the exact figure if I had a machine to measure it.”M.S. Dhoni, Indian captainWords WorthJournalists have deleted Tony Greig ‘s number from their phonebooks. The 6´´6´- tall English commentator has sent a letter to ESPN Star Sports asking for more money if he has to express his “valuable” views on the World Cup. He has already been paid over Rs 20 lakh by the channel for his services as a commentator. “If I have to open my mouth except for eating, you will have to pay for it,” Greig wrote.The SoothsayerAhead of the India vs England match at Bangalore on February 27, Shane Warne predicted on Twitter that the game would be a tie. Since then bookies across the globe are trying to get his number on speed dial. “Before you think there was something untoward regarding the prediction of a tie, I thought it was going to be a cracker-it was tongue-in-cheek, but right,” he tweeted again. Warnie, you are the new Octopus.last_img read more

Lakers end Anthony Davis talks over ‘outrageous’ demands

first_imgRich Paul, Davis’s agent and James’s agent, revealed the Davis trade demand a week ago, leading to a $50,000 fine for Davis from the NBA but forcing the Pelicans’ hand, lest he play out his contract next year and leave without any compensation.ESPN reported Monday that Davis has given the Pelicans a list with a “handful” of clubs where he would sign a long-term deal after a trade, saying it includes Milwaukee and does not include Boston.The Lakers, Milwaukee, New York Knicks and Los Angeles Clippers are on the list, according to the Los Angeles Times.Bringing Davis to the Lakers to play alongside James would give the team another major two-man combination in their history of success with such duos as Shaquille O’Neal and Kobe Bryant, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Magic Johnson and Wilt Chamberlain and Jerry West.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next READ: Lakers boost Anthony Davis offer as Pelicans get wishlistDavis, who announced his desire to leave New Orleans earlier this month, is reportedly keen to join the Lakers and form a partnership with LeBron James.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSUrgent reply from Philippine ‍football chiefSPORTSPalace wants Cayetano’s PHISGOC Foundation probed over corruption chargesHowever, the Times, citing a person with knowledge of the negotiations, reported Tuesday that the Lakers had now ended discussions after growing increasingly frustrated with the Pelicans.The report said that Lakers president of basketball operations Magic Johnson informed Pelicans general manager Dell Demps that the organization had made its best and final offer and would not add anything else. FILE – Josh Hart #3 of the Los Angeles Lakers celebrates with Brandon Ingram #14 during a 130-111 loss to the Golden State Warriors at Staples Center on January 21, 2019 in Los Angeles, California. Harry How/Getty Images/AFPThe Los Angeles Lakers have withdrawn from negotiations with the New Orleans Pelicans over Anthony Davis after complaining of “outrageous” trade requests, the Los Angeles Times reported Tuesday.The Times said the Lakers had “pulled out” of talks with the Pelicans aimed at acquiring Davis after offering multiple players and draft picks for the All-Star.ADVERTISEMENT SEA Games hosting troubles anger Duterte View comments NBA: Kawhi, George seek more for Clippers than beating Lakers PLAY LIST 01:48NBA: Kawhi, George seek more for Clippers than beating Lakers00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss Grace Poe files bill to protect govt teachers from malicious accusations ‘We are too hospitable,’ says Sotto amid SEA Games woes Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting PDEA chief backs Robredo in revealing ‘discoveries’ on drug warcenter_img Oil plant explodes in Pampanga town MOST READ Looking for answers ‘We are too hospitable,’ says Sotto amid SEA Games woes READ: NBA fines Anthony Davis $50000 for making public trade demandThat offer is reported to have included Lonzo Ball, Kyle Kuzma, Brandon Ingram, Josh Hart, Ivica Zubac and Kentavious Caldwell-Pope as well as two first round draft picks.However the Pelicans had requested between six and eight draft picks.“They wanted more and more and more,” the Times quoted one source familiar with the negotiations as saying. “There was no more to give… the more they wanted the more it because outrageous and unrealistic.”Davis, a 25-year-old forward who helped the United States capture 2012 London Olympic gold is the most prized player up for grabs as Thursday’s NBA trade deadline approaches.ADVERTISEMENT Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. US judge bars Trump’s health insurance rule for immigrants LATEST STORIESlast_img read more