Redefining Passivhaus

first_img Start Free Trial Already a member? Log in Sign up for a free trial and get instant access to this article as well as GBA’s complete library of premium articles and construction details. In January 2012, Katrin Klingenberg, the founder of the Passive House Institute U.S. (PHIUS), announced that her organization would develop a new passive house standard for North America — a standard that differed from the Passivhaus standard developed in Darmstadt, Germany.Writing in her blog in 2012, Klingenberg explained that “it’s time to allow for a modification process to the rigid annual heating and cooling requirement of less or equal to 15 kWh/m²•yr… for the North American continent’s more extreme climates… This idea that we need to adapt the standard to various regions has taken root around the world from domestic energy experts like Martin Holladay, Alex Wilson, and Marc Rosenbaum and to Passive House groups from other countries, like the Swedes.”Almost two years later, Klingenberg made another announcement: the work required to develop the new standard would be partly funded by U.S. taxpayers (through the Department of Energy), and one of the contracts for the required study would be awarded to the Building Science Corporation of Westford, Massachusetts.A few weeks ago, Klingenberg’s first goal was reached when the DOE-funded paper (“Climate-Specific Passive Building Standards”) was published. The report has three authors: Betsy Pettit (from Building Science Corporation), Graham Wright (from PHIUS), and Katrin Klingenberg.In effect, the paper is a draft for a proposed new passive house standard. PHIUS is now inviting the public to comment on the draft standard; after the public comments are reviewed, the standard may be modified before being adopted by PHIUS.A few years ago, PHIUS cut the umbilical cord linking it to Germany. Since then, the U.S. organization has no longer been bound by the German definition of a “Passivhaus.” Because if its recent independence, PHIUS now has a chance to ask an important question: what, exactly, do… center_img This article is only available to GBA Prime Memberslast_img read more

Two militants and soldiers killed in Hajin gunfight

first_imgTwo militants and two soldiers were killed in an early morning operation in north Kashmir’s Bandipora area on Wednesday.A police official said security forces, comprising of army and local police, sealed off Rakh (Paribal), Hajin, around 5 a.m. The operation was launched after “follow up of inputs about the presence of a large group of armed militants in the area.”In the initial exchange of firing, two militants were killed. “However, two soldiers also sustained injuries, who succumbed later [sic],” said the official.Both militants are believed to be associated with the Lashkar-e-Taiba. The search operation is on as the firing from both sides have stopped. “It was an intense operation. Two members of the army’s Air Force Garud were killed,” army spokesperson told The Hindu. On September 27, a BSF jawan, who was home on a leave, was killed by militants in Hajin.last_img read more

Lakers end Anthony Davis talks over ‘outrageous’ demands

first_imgRich Paul, Davis’s agent and James’s agent, revealed the Davis trade demand a week ago, leading to a $50,000 fine for Davis from the NBA but forcing the Pelicans’ hand, lest he play out his contract next year and leave without any compensation.ESPN reported Monday that Davis has given the Pelicans a list with a “handful” of clubs where he would sign a long-term deal after a trade, saying it includes Milwaukee and does not include Boston.The Lakers, Milwaukee, New York Knicks and Los Angeles Clippers are on the list, according to the Los Angeles Times.Bringing Davis to the Lakers to play alongside James would give the team another major two-man combination in their history of success with such duos as Shaquille O’Neal and Kobe Bryant, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Magic Johnson and Wilt Chamberlain and Jerry West.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next READ: Lakers boost Anthony Davis offer as Pelicans get wishlistDavis, who announced his desire to leave New Orleans earlier this month, is reportedly keen to join the Lakers and form a partnership with LeBron James.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSUrgent reply from Philippine ‍football chiefSPORTSPalace wants Cayetano’s PHISGOC Foundation probed over corruption chargesHowever, the Times, citing a person with knowledge of the negotiations, reported Tuesday that the Lakers had now ended discussions after growing increasingly frustrated with the Pelicans.The report said that Lakers president of basketball operations Magic Johnson informed Pelicans general manager Dell Demps that the organization had made its best and final offer and would not add anything else. FILE – Josh Hart #3 of the Los Angeles Lakers celebrates with Brandon Ingram #14 during a 130-111 loss to the Golden State Warriors at Staples Center on January 21, 2019 in Los Angeles, California. Harry How/Getty Images/AFPThe Los Angeles Lakers have withdrawn from negotiations with the New Orleans Pelicans over Anthony Davis after complaining of “outrageous” trade requests, the Los Angeles Times reported Tuesday.The Times said the Lakers had “pulled out” of talks with the Pelicans aimed at acquiring Davis after offering multiple players and draft picks for the All-Star.ADVERTISEMENT SEA Games hosting troubles anger Duterte View comments NBA: Kawhi, George seek more for Clippers than beating Lakers PLAY LIST 01:48NBA: Kawhi, George seek more for Clippers than beating Lakers00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss Grace Poe files bill to protect govt teachers from malicious accusations ‘We are too hospitable,’ says Sotto amid SEA Games woes Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting PDEA chief backs Robredo in revealing ‘discoveries’ on drug warcenter_img Oil plant explodes in Pampanga town MOST READ Looking for answers ‘We are too hospitable,’ says Sotto amid SEA Games woes READ: NBA fines Anthony Davis $50000 for making public trade demandThat offer is reported to have included Lonzo Ball, Kyle Kuzma, Brandon Ingram, Josh Hart, Ivica Zubac and Kentavious Caldwell-Pope as well as two first round draft picks.However the Pelicans had requested between six and eight draft picks.“They wanted more and more and more,” the Times quoted one source familiar with the negotiations as saying. “There was no more to give… the more they wanted the more it because outrageous and unrealistic.”Davis, a 25-year-old forward who helped the United States capture 2012 London Olympic gold is the most prized player up for grabs as Thursday’s NBA trade deadline approaches.ADVERTISEMENT Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. US judge bars Trump’s health insurance rule for immigrants LATEST STORIESlast_img read more