DP World Bags 30Year Port Concession Deal in Congo

first_imgzoom Dubai-based port developer DP World has won a 30-year concession with an option of a further 20-year extension for the management and development of a greenfield multi-purpose port project at Banana, Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC).The Port of Banana will be the first deep-sea port in the country along its small coastline of 37 kilometres, which currently only has the riverine port of Matadi.Under the deal, DP World plans to set up a joint venture with 70 pct control with the government of DRC holding a 30 pct share, to manage and invest in the port.The first phase of the greenfield project, with an estimated initial investment of USD 350 million, will include a 600-metre quay and 25-hectare yard extension with a container capacity of 350,000 TEU and 1.5 million tonnes for general cargo, DP World said.The construction is expected to start in 2018 and will take approximately 24 months to complete.The initial investment of USD 350 million will be spread over 24 months and the total project cost of more than USD 1 billion over four phases will be dependent on market demand for the port, industrial and logistics zone infrastructure, DP World said.The development gives the Democratic Republic of the Congo the opportunity to reduce its dependency on the neighbouring countries’ ports.“ Investment in this deep-water port will have a major impact on the country’s trade with significant cost and time savings, attracting more direct calls from larger vessels from Asia and Europe, and ultimately acting as a catalyst for the growth of the country and the region’s economy, “ Sultan Ahmed Bin Sulayem, Group Chairman and CEO, DP World, said.As explained, for DP World, the investment in Congo is part of the company’s push to enlarge its footprint in Africa and promises to deliver attractive returns to shareholders over the longer-term.“The Port of Banana will offer the first deep-water port to the Democratic Republic of the Congo that will dramatically improve the cost and time of trade as the majority of the cargo is still handled by neighbouring countries,” Jose Makila Sumanda, Vice Prime Minister and Minister of Transport and Communications, Democratic Republic of the Congo, said.“The project will provide us with a first-class marine facility comparable to other African countries in terms of capacity, draft and ability to handle the latest generation of vessels.”Separately, the company reported that it has signed two framework agreements with the government of Kazakhstan relating to the acquisition, governance and management of Special Economic Zones (SEZ) in Aktau and Khorgos.Following the agreements, DP World now plans to acquire a 51 pct stake in the Khorgos SEZ and 49 pct in the Aktau SEZ in line with the development of the New Silk Route and the Belt and Road Initiative.last_img read more

Video Sergio Ramos Mohamed Salah meet again

first_imgSergio Ramos and Mohamed Salah met each other for the first time on Thursday night since May’s Champions League finalSalah was forced to leave the pitch in Kiev in tears back then after Ramos dragged him to the floor in the first half of the game.The Real Madrid captain caused damage to Salah’s shoulder ligaments and the Egyptian king was then forced to watch Liverpool lose 3-1 from the bench.The incident between Salah and Ramos caused a huge uproar with many fans setting up petitions demanding that FIFA and UEFA punish the latter for his challenge.As a result of the injury, Salah’s participation in Egypt’s first World Cup campaign in 28 years was limited to a restricted role with the national side exiting the tournament in the group stages without a single point.On Thursday evening, Ramos was named the 2017/18 Champions League defender of the season.Upon receiving the award, Ramos walked back to his seat and tapped the shoulder of Salah – who had been seated in front of the Spaniard.In the video below, Salah seems to refuse to acknowledge Ramos at all.Sergio Ramos, Real MadridZidane reveals Sergio Ramos injury concern for Real Madrid Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Zinedine Zidane has put Sergio Ramos’ availability for Real Madrid’s trip to Sevilla next weekend in doubt after withdrawing him against Levante.“Remember me?” ? pic.twitter.com/U4ZVhZ7PAW— B/R Football (@brfootball) August 30, 2018Ramos made sure that Salah was not out of his sight throughout the entire evening.Ramos: “How’s the arm?”Salah: “I don’t want to talk about it…” pic.twitter.com/2hlb9JQ4fl— Dale O’Donnell (@ODonnellDale) August 30, 2018last_img read more

Nikola Vlasics agent slams Marco Silva

first_imgTo Vlasic’s dad and agent, his client should be playing in Everton because the team needs him in the midfield and not in CSKA MoscowNikola Vlasic was bought by English Premier League side Everton in 2017.While there, the Croatian only appeared on 12 occasions.And that’s when coach Marco Silva decided to loan him and since this summer he’s been with CSKA Moscow in the Russian Premier League.He has played in five matches, scoring one goal.And he’s been playing really well for the team, including a good UEFA Champions League match.Roberto Firmino, LiverpoolVirgil van Dijk praises Roberto Firmino after Liverpool’s win Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Virgil van Dijk hailed team-mate Roberto Firmino after coming off the bench to inspire Liverpool to a 3-1 comeback win against Newcastle United.According to Vlasic’s agent and father, Marco Silva was wrong when he sent him on loan.“Marco Silva is under enormous pressure because he gave Nikola away on loan,” he told Club Call.“Many fans and journalists believe Everton have big problems in midfield, and Nikola is the player they need.”“Vlasic told Silva before leaving he considered himself the best midfielder in the team. The manager made a big mistake,” he added.“Nikola might stay at CSKA next season, but it’s too early to talk about it.”last_img read more

Javier Tebas optimistic about GironaBarca in Miami

first_imgLa Liga chief Javier Tebas believes the Girona-Barcelona tie is 83 percent likely’ to be played in Miami despite the oppositions.La Liga took out several adverts in the Miami Herald to campaign for the city to host January 27’s mini-Catalan derby.“It’s 83 percent likely to happen,” he told reporters via Football Espana at a book launch.“No-one has given me any document that says otherwise, neither the RFEF nor any international or world organisation. We’ll try to get the ‘yes’.“They haven’t answered us but we’ll keep working until they give us an official ‘no’.David Villa, FC BarcelonaTop 10 players who played for both Barcelona and Valencia Boro Tanchev – September 14, 2019 Time to talk about the best players who represented both Barcelona and Valencia, prior to their La Liga encounter at Camp Nou this evening.“I think the advertising in the Miami Herald was perfect. You have to see the desire they have in the US for the game to be played there.“Right now La Liga is more famous there for that match than some of the results at the weekend.“Football Leaks? That’s what we reported two years ago, when some people called me crazy.“You don’t need Football Leaks to verify it. You only need to look at the accounts of both clubs to see that they practice financial doping with inflated sponsorships. It’s not possible.“The corresponding measures must be taken and the files reopened. I think PSG will be punished by 90%.”last_img read more

Louis Saha hopes Solskjaer influence Paul Pogba positively

first_imgFormer Newcastle forward Louis Saha hopes Solskjaer can be a positive influence on French international Paul Pogba.🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥@ManUtd #mufc pic.twitter.com/vEb5ErlNPG— Paul Pogba (@paulpogba) December 22, 2018Given Solskjaer’s selfless nature as a player and a coach, Saha confirms such humility will aid communication with Pogba.Harry Maguire, Manchester UnitedLiverpool legend Nicol slams Harry Maguire’s Man United form Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Steve Nicol believes Harry Maguire has made some “horrendous mistakes” recently, and has failed to find his best form since joining Manchester United.“Ole has a lot of humility and it can help in their communication,” Saha said as quoted in FourFourTwo“He will put his ego aside as ‘boss’ and he’ll tell himself that today the team goes first.“It is what Ole does. He’s always done it. He made great sacrifices for his team-mates. He’s made the difference for his team-mates and his coach. That’s Ole. He will give that [to the team].“That’s a message he’ll give gradually to all the players. They need to get their confidence back. They almost need some paternal communication.“A misplaced pride in a great club constantly under the scrutiny of everyone. Whatever will happen, there they’ll talk about it because it’s one of the most followed clubs in the world. “last_img read more

7 MPs quit Labour Party over Brexit antiSemitism

first_imgFormer Labour party MPs, (From Left) Ann Coffey, Angela Smith, Chris Leslie, Chuka Umunna, Mike Gapes, Luciana Berger, and Gavin Shuker pose for a photograph following a press conference in London on 18 February 2019, where they announced their resignation from the Labour Party, and the formation of a new independent group of MPs. Seven MPs from Britain`s opposition Labour Party on Monday announced they were breaking away in protest at the party leadership`s support for Brexit and its failure to stamp out anti-Semitism. Speaking at a hastily arranged press conference in London, the seven attacked party chief Jeremy Corbyn for leading the party to the far left and said they would sit as an independent group in parliament. Photo: AFPSeven MPs from Britain’s opposition Labour Party announced on Monday they were breaking away in protest at the party leadership’s support for Brexit and its failure to stamp out anti-Semitism.Speaking at a hastily arranged press conference in London, the seven attacked party chief Jeremy Corbyn for leading the party to the far left and said they would sit as an independent group in parliament.The group included Chuka Umunna, who has led a cross-party campaign for a second referendum on Brexit and was once seen as a potential Labour leader.”If you want an alternative please help us build it,” Umunna said.”Politics is broken. It doesn’t have to be this way.”Corbyn said he was “disappointed” by the MPs’ decision.”Now more than ever is the time to bring people together to build a better future for us all,” he said.Another MP, Luciana Berger, who has been the victim of anti-Semitic abuse for years, said: “This has been a very difficult, painful but necessary decision.”Berger said the party had become “institutionally anti-Semitic”, adding: “I have become embarrassed and ashamed to represent the Labour Party.”I am leaving behind a culture of bullying, bigotry and intimidation,” she said.MP Mike Gapes said: “I am furious that the Labour leadership is complicit in facilitating Brexit”.His colleague Chris Leslie, said he was leaving because of “Labour’s betrayal on Europe”.last_img

Britains Pompeii reveals new clues about life during the Bronze Age

first_imgThought the site is no longer situated on a river, it is quite wet, which is helping to preserve artifacts. The researchers plan to remove them all because it is believed the water level in the areas is likely to fall, removing their natural protective blanket. © 2016 Phys.org Glass beads thought to have been from a necklace. More information: Press release Bronze Age textile made from plant fibres. The site was first discovered back in 2006, but it was only recently that excavations began—a joint effort between the University of Cambridge and Historic England. Items from the houses which sit approximately two meters below ground level, have been dated to approximately 1000-800 BC, which puts them near the end of the Bronze Age—a time dominated by tools and weapons made by mixing copper and tin, from roughly 2500, to 1000 BC. In Britain, the Bronze Age has been extended to approximately 800 BC—it ended when visitors from overseas introduced implements made of iron. Because of the arrangement, the researchers believe the houses were abandoned very quickly, likely due to the fire, which allowed for the preservation of objects as they existed in the everyday lives of people during that time period.Thus far, workers digging at the site have uncovered pots and pans of varying sizes, spears and daggers, exotic glass beads and even textiles that had been fashioned from tree bark. They have also uncovered the charred remains of the timbers that once served as stilts, allowing those living in the house to exist as if on their own tiny island. A human skull has also been found near one entrance, but it has not yet been studied in detail, thus it is not known if it might have belonged to one of the inhabitants of the house. The team has also identified footprints in the sediment. Detail on a 6.3m oak logboat. Close up of stilts and collapsed roof timbers. Explore further Close up of stilts and collapsed roof timbers. Close up of charred wooden bucket base. Citation: Britain’s ‘Pompeii’ reveals new clues about life during the Bronze Age (2016, January 12) retrieved 18 August 2019 from https://phys.org/news/2016-01-britain-pompeii-reveals-clues-life.html Late Iron Age baldric ring with La Tène style decoration, probably part of a shoulder belt for carrying a sword. Shifting sand dunes reveal hidden Bronze Age settlement (Phys.org)—A team of archeologists working at a dig site in Cambridgeshire in Britain has found what they are describing as Britain’s ‘Pompeii’—evidence of everyday life in an ancient society, covered by mud—and the best preserved Bronze Age dwelling ever found in that country. The find consists of two circular wooden houses that once stood atop stilts over a river—when the houses caught fire, they collapsed into the river and were covered by silt, which preserved everyday items inside, such as tables and chairs and jewelry, and even food in bowls. Glass beads thought to have been from a necklace. Bronze Age textile made from plant fibres. Late Iron Age baldric ring with La Tène style decoration, probably part of a shoulder belt for carrying a sword. This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.last_img read more

WhatsApp messages to be under scanner during poll period CEC

first_imgChief election commissioner VS Sampath on Thursday said any offensive material on social media during election period will be strictly dealt with.‘The chief secretary and the DGP were told to instruct the police stations to register complaints against obnoxious material on social media during election period,’ Sampath said at a press conference here.last_img

Protests in Ggn demanding justice for minor rape victim

first_imgPeople protested here on Thursday on the busy Mehrauli-Gurgaon road, demanding justice for a five-year-old girl, who was raped after being lured with the promise of a plate of chowmein.The girl, who is under treatment at Delhi’s Safdarjung hospital, was kidnapped from a function in Chakarpur and raped on March 29.People also blocked traffic near Bristol Chowk, and said the girl’s condition deteriorated as proper care was not being given at the hospital. Gurgaon Deputy Commissioner TL Satyaprakash, who visited the spot, assured the angry people that the girl would be shifted to Medanta the Medicity hospital in the city. The protesters demanded the suspension of Gurgaon’s chief medical officer, who referred the girl to Delhi. They also demanded the removal of inquiry officer Assistant Commissioner of Police Dharna Yadav, who allegedly misled the girl’s family saying that the arrested accused was a mentally disturbed person.last_img read more

Smoke scare forces aircraft to make emergency landing

first_imgKolkata: An aircraft of a private airline made an emergency landing at the Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose International (NSCBI) Airport in Kolkata on Monday night, after smoke was traced inside the cabin. While approaching the NSCBI Airport, smoke started spreading further inside the aircraft.Sources informed that on Monday night at around 10:40 pm, the Air Traffic Control (ATC) of NSCBI Airport received an SOS message from a flight coming from Ahmadabad via Jaipur. The pilot informed that due to some unknown reasons, smoke spread all over inside the aircraft. Passengers became panic stricken due to the smoke and some even had breathing problem. Also Read – Rain batters Kolkata, cripples normal lifeImmediately, ATC officials arranged for an emergency landing, with all the necessary system such as fire tenders, ambulances and other logistics in place. All other flight operations were halted for the time being. A few minutes later the flight safely landed at the airport. The 139 passengers on board were evacuated using a ‘slipper’ through the emergency exit. After evacuation, the aircraft was quarantined and taken to a safe distance. Later, engineers were called to check the aircraft. But no fault could be detected. Later, the flight was grounded till an overall check. According to airport sources, it would be checked again if there is any glitch. According to sources, engineers are working to detect the problem in the aircraft.last_img read more