Magzter Raises 10M to Go Global

first_imgSingapore Press Holdings, a media organization based in Southeast Asia, led the round. SPH publishes 19 titles overall, and boasts a total audience of 3.05 million.”Investing in Magzter is an opportunity for us to enter into yet another new platform for content delivery and is part of our strategy to enhance content creation and distribution,” says Deborah Lee, executive vice president of corporate development for SPH, in a statement. “We are excited to be part of this round of funding and see great potential in Magzter for future growth.” Digital newsstand Magzter has secured $10 million in a second round of funding to pursue a global growth strategy build around local editions.The platform currently has international distribution deals with several major publishers including Hearst, Condé Nast, Newsweek and Bloomberg. Magzter says it has more than 16 million users from 200 countries, serving content in over 30 languages. Overall, the service lists more than 900 publishers as clients.”Over time, we have seen a lot of the publishers in other geographies, a lot of the licensees in different parts of the world, are using Magzter,” says Girish Ramdas, Magzter CEO, in an interview with TechCrunch.Ramdas adds that the funding will be used to get more publishers to release local editions through his company. No details of what those efforts will entail were given.last_img read more

WATCH Alien researcher releases eerie clip of highspeeding UFO in Orange County

first_imgMavixxxPopular conspiracy theory YouTube channel ‘Mavixxx’ has now uploaded a mysterious video clip that shows a UFO flying in the skies of Orange County, California at breathtaking speed. The clip shows a disc-shaped flying object in the skies, and it had glowing light in its seemingly metallic body.In the video, the conspiracy theorist revealed that the footage was shot on June 19, 2019, and the sighting was apparently captured by a local resident named Sherlly Galicia. Interestingly, the shape and structure of the flying object spotted in the skies of Orange County seems very similar to the alien flying crafts we have seen in Hollywood sci-fi flicks like ‘Independence Day’ and ‘Mars Attack’.The video uploaded by Mavixxx has already gone viral on YouTube, and it has already racked up more than 25,000 views. After watching the video, most of the viewers claimed that sightings like these are authentic proof of alien existence. As per these alien enthusiasts from the deep space used to visit the earth to monitor human activities, and they even went ahead and claimed that these otherworldly entities are gearing up for an invasion.However, skeptics were quick to dismiss the alien angle, and they revealed that the flying object spotted in the video could be a drone. Some others argued that these crafts might be sometimes secret military vehicles that have the capability to travel at hypersonic speed.The new sighting was reported just a few days after Donald Trump, the president of the United States revealed that he does not believe in aliens. Interestingly, Pentagon had earlier confirmed that they had carried out a secretive mission to unravel the mysteries surrounding UFO sightings, especially the one reported by Navy officials. Several Navy officials had previously informed the authorities that the flying objects spotted in the skies performed bizarre manoeuvres that literally defied all laws of modern physics.last_img read more

Pakistan to honour bravery in NZ attack

first_imgImran KhanA Pakistani victim of the Christchurch attack who apparently tried to tackle the gunman before being shot dead will be awarded posthumously in his home country for his courage, prime minister Imran Khan said Sunday.Khan spoke as the Pakistani foreign office confirmed that nine of its citizens had been killed in the mass shootings at two mosques in the New Zealand city which claimed the lives of 50 people Friday, including many who had emigrated from around the world.Video of the massacre shows one man gunned down as he approaches the shooter, while others flee.The man is believed to be Naeem Rashid, although his face is blurred in the footage and he has yet to be formally identified.”Pakistan is proud of Mian Naeem Rashid who was martyred trying to tackle the White Supremacist terrorist & his courage will be recognised with a national award,” Khan tweeted on Sunday.Pakistan has several awards to recognise civilian bravery, and Khan did not specify which one would be awarded to Rashid, whose son also died in the massacre.Rashid’s elder brother Khurshid Alam told AFP in the northwestern Pakistani city of Abbottabad that the award “means a lot” to his family.”I feel very proud,” he said, calling the loss of his brother and nephew a “big, big shock”.Naeem, he said, had visited the family last year, staying for two months.”We had a lovely time. He was a man who would be like a kid with children, and like an adult with grown-ups,” Alam said.- Suspect visited Pakistan -‘Pakistan’s foreign minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi said the award would be given on 23 March, Pakistan Day.He confirmed that nine Pakistani citizens had been killed in the attack while one was in critical condition.One “is still not out of danger but he is being treated”, he told reporters in Islamabad without identifying the victim.Qureshi said families of six of the victims have decided to bury them in Christchurch, while the other three want to bring the remains to Pakistan.”Whatever the families will decide, we will respect it and fulfil their wishes,” he said, adding that flags will be flown at half-mast in Pakistan on Monday in honour of the victims.Officials in Pakistan’s picturesque northern areas also confirmed that the main suspect, 28-year-old white supremacist Brenton Tarrant, had visited the region as a tourist in October, staying for more than a week.Syed Israr Hussain, owner of Osho Thang Hotel in Minapin Nagar, told AFP: “(Tarrant) … stayed for two days before leaving for Khunjerab (Pass, on the border with China).”He was a decent and quiet guy.”He said he remembered Tarrant among the many tourists who visit the region “because he was so impressed by the area, and said he had heard so many negative things about Pakistan but he found it the opposite”.Tarrant’s alleged involvement in the massacre left him “surprised and shocked”, he said.Tarrant is also believed to have visited Gilgit and Skardu in the mountainous north.last_img read more

Cellphone Hacking Could it Happen to You

first_img Register Now » If the cellphone hacking scandal that caused the downfall of Britain’s best-selling tabloid, News of the World, made you wonder about your own vulnerability, consider these statistics.Globally, telecommunications-fraud losses, which includes cases of mobile-phone fraud, were estimated to hit $72 billion to $80 billion in 2009, up 34 percent from 2005, according to a 2009 survey of security experts from the Roseland, N.J.,-based Communications Fraud Control Association. Hacking alone accounted for $3.2 billion in losses for the telecom industry, says CFCA.What’s more, the problems have likely only expanded as smartphone use has escalated. In the U.S., smartphone ownership grew 60 percent from 2009 to 2010. And then from 2010 to 2011, the increase was 42 percent, according to Javelin Strategy & Research’s July Second Annual Antivirus, Browser, and Mobile Security Report.The uptick is significant because analysts had long suggested that cellphone insecurity wasn’t a huge threat because each phone and service provider offered different operating systems — making the creation of malware for mobile phones tricky. But as the devises proliferate, the category will become increasingly fruitful for fraudsters, according to Boaz Bechar, a vice president of business development at the Tel Aviv-based security firm, Humbug Telecom Labs, which works with international service providers.To protect yours and your company’s data here are three mobile phone security tips to consider:Lock it up. At the very least, make sure your phone and keypad are password protected, says Bechar. On some phones, you might even enable a so-called lock-out in which the phone locks itself after a set stretch of inactivity. “That way, if someone steals your phone, they can’t access your information,” he says. Then, make sure that you use strong passwords that are long and difficult to ascertain. They should also be completely different than the passwords you use for your banking and online accounts. And absolutely do not program your passwords into your phone.Make sure your voicemail password is also hard to crack, says Bechar. Even if you’re not worried about someone eavesdropping on your phone calls, fraudsters can certainly drain your bank account if you’re not wary. The code should be six to eight digits and don’t even consider using 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8, he says. You might even call your provider and disconnect your ability to remotely check your messages.Watch that app. Last year, more than one million of China’s cellphone users were infected with a virus that automatically sends text messages. How did they catch that virus? They downloaded an antivirus application that they thought would help protect them against hackers. If you want to download encryption software, do. But just make sure it’s from a reputable seller. Bechar adds that sticking to apps in, say, Apple’s App Store, which certifies its apps, can also be a good idea.Keep it clean. Depending on what kind of phone you have, different applications can be used to help you remove your information remotely. For instance, MyMotoblur can erase your data from Motorola devises. Before you sell or discard a device, make sure you erase it then, too. July 8, 2011 min read Growing a business sometimes requires thinking outside the box. Free Webinar | Sept. 9: The Entrepreneur’s Playbook for Going Global Opinions expressed by Entrepreneur contributors are their own.last_img read more

Googlers for ending forced arbitration a public awareness social media campaign for

first_imgThere seems to be a running battle between Google and its employees for quite some time now. A group of Google employees announced yesterday that they’re launching a public awareness social media campaign from 9 AM to 6 PM EST today. The group, called, ‘Googlers for ending forced arbitration’ aims to educate people about the forced arbitration policy via Instagram and Twitter where they will also share their experiences about the same with the world. The group has researched their fellow tech employees, academic institutions, labour attorneys, advocacy groups, etc as well as the contracts of around 30 major tech companies, as a part of its efforts. They also published a post on Medium, yesterday, stating that “ending forced arbitration is the gateway change needed to transparently address inequity in the workplace”. According to National Association of Consumer Advocates, “In forced arbitration, a company requires a consumer or employee to submit any dispute that may arise to binding arbitration as a condition of employment or buying a product or service. The employee or consumer is required to waive their right to sue, to participate in a class action lawsuit, or to appeal”. Demands for more transparency around Google’s sexual assault policies seems to have become a bone of contention for Google. For instance, two shareholders, namely, James Martin and two other pension funds sued Alphabet’s board members, last week, for protecting the top execs accused of sexual harassment. The lawsuit, which seeks major changes to Google’s corporate governance, also urges for more clarity surrounding Google’s policies. Similarly, Liz Fong Jones, developer advocate at Google Cloud platform, revealed earlier this month, that she’s planning to leave the firm due to Google showing lack of leadership in case of the demands made by employees during the Google walkout. It was back in November 2018 when over 20,000 Google employees organized Google “walkout for real change” and walked out of their offices along with temps and contractors to protest against the discrimination, racism, and sexual harassment encountered within Google. Google employees had made five demands as part of the walkout, including ending forced arbitration for all employees (including temps) in cases of sexual harassment and other forms of discrimination. Now, although Google announced that it’s ending its forced Arbitration policy as a response to the walkout (a move that was soon followed by Facebook) back in November, Google employees are not convinced. They argue that the announcement only made up for strong headlines, and did not actually do enough for the employees. The employees mentioned that there were “no meaningful gains for worker equity … nor any actual change in employee contracts or future offer letters (as of this publication, we have confirmed Google is still sending out offer letters with the old arbitration policy)”. Moreover, forced arbitration still exists in Google for cases involving other forms of workplace harassment and discrimination issues that are non-sexual in nature. Google has made the forced arbitration policy optional only for individual cases of sexual assault for full-time employees and still exists for class-action lawsuits and thousands of contractors who work for the company. Additionally, the employee contracts in the US still have the arbitration waiver in effect. “Our leadership team responded to our five original demands with a handful of partial policy changes. The other ‘changes’ they announced simply re-stated our current, ineffective practices or introduced extraneous measures that are irrelevant to bringing equity to the workplace”, mentions the group in a blog post on Medium. Follow the public awareness campaign on the group’s Instagram and Twitter accounts. Read Next Recode Decode #GoogleWalkout interview shows why data and evidence don’t always lead to right decisions in even the world’s most data-driven company Tech Workers Coalition volunteers talk unionization and solidarity in Silicon Valley BuzzFeed Report: Google’s sexual misconduct policy “does not apply retroactively to claims already compelled to arbitration”last_img read more