Indonesia confirms 2 recent avian flu deaths

first_imgJun 19, 2008 (CIDRAP News) – The World Health Organization (WHO) said today that Indonesia has officially notified it of two recent fatal human cases of H5N1 avian influenza that were reported previously by the news media.The reporting to the WHO of the cases in a 16-year-girl and a 34-year-old woman comes 2 weeks after Health Minister Siti Fadilah Supari said Indonesia would stop announcing cases as they occur and instead list them only at longer intervals, perhaps as long as 6 months. The comments raised questions about the government’s compliance with the International Health Regulations (IHR), which call for countries to promptly report human cases of avian flu and certain other diseases to the WHO.David Heymann of the WHO drew a distinction between Indonesia’s public announcements of H5N1 cases and its reports to the WHO, according to a Reuters report published today.”The minister [Supari] has told WHO they will not continue to share publicly whenever there is a new case but they will inform the WHO in conformity with IHR,” said Heymann, who is the WHO’s assistant director-general for health security and environment.Heymann told Reuters the WHO encourages all governments to provide information freely to their populations, but it is their decision.Today’s WHO statement, citing information from the Indonesian health ministry, said the 16-year-old girl was from South Jakarta and fell ill on May 7; she was hospitalized May 12 and died 2 days later. There was evidence that she had been exposed to sick and dead poultry, the agency said.Supari had reported the girl’s case to the Associated Press (AP) 2 weeks ago but had described her as a 15-year-old.The WHO said the 34-year-old woman was from Tangerang district, west of Jakarta. She became ill May 26 and died Jun 3 after a day in a hospital. An investigation into the source of her exposure was continuing.The AP on Jun 13 had reported that a 34-year-old woman named Susi Lisnawati had died of avian flu on Jun 3. Several government officials who requested anonymity had confirmed the case, but the government had not informed the woman’s husband that she had the virus, according to the story.The two latest cases raise the WHO’s H5N1 count for Indonesia, the hardest-hit country, to 135 cases with 110 deaths. The global count has reached 385 cases, including 243 deaths.Heymann told Reuters that Indonesian authorities were trying to confirm another suspected H5N1 case that was fatal.According to Reuters, another WHO official said the agency has a good relationship with Indonesia, despite the country’s reluctance to share H5N1 virus isolates. Indonesia is seeking guarantees that it will receive a supply of any vaccines developed from the isolates it provides.”There is a strong working relationship between the WHO country office and the government,” John Rainford, a WHO spokesman in Geneva, told Reuters. “Even if there is a conflict on issues like virus-sharing, it hasn’t eroded the ability to carry out joint investigations.”A WHO official who requested anonymity told CIDRAP News this week that the agency had been aware of recent H5N1 cases in Indonesia despite the delay in receiving official notification.Speaking before the latest case confirmations, the official said, “The fact that you don’t yet have official notification of any cases doesn’t mean there isn’t unofficial awareness.” He said the two recent cases didn’t change WHO experts’ assessment of the risk posed by the virus.If the cases had signaled more of a threat, the information would have been handled differently, he suggested. “If we were dealing with something much more serious, I think there would be a very, very different approach by all involved in getting the information. If you had a cluster of something behaving in an unusual fashion, the pressure to share it would be very high.”See also: Jun 13 CIDRAP News story “Indonesian government mum as AP reports H5N1 case”Jun 5 CIDRAP News story “Indonesia quits offering prompt notice of H5N1 cases”last_img read more

Gold Coast set to rise by up to six per cent

first_imgGold Coast home prices expected to rise by up to six per cent in 2019.GOLD Coast home prices could grow as much as six per cent next year, bucking national trends.The 2019 Housing Boom and Bust Report, from leading independent property analyst SQM Research, expects home prices on the Glitter Strip to rise between two and six per cent next year and rents to increase between two and five per cent. Sydney and Melbourne buyers are still flocking to the Gold Coast.Ray White Surfers Paradise Group CEO Andrew Bell said the softening property market in Sydney was having a positive flow-on effect for Gold Coast real estate.“Sydney’s loss is our gain, because despite the falls in home prices down south, our market is holding up remarkably well,” said Mr Bell. GET FULL DIGITAL ACCESS FOR 50C A DAY More from news02:37International architect Desmond Brooks selling luxury beach villa14 hours ago02:37Gold Coast property: Sovereign Islands mega mansion hits market with $16m price tag2 days agoPricing levels on the Gold Coast are close to fair value.Mr Christopher predicted property prices to “bottom out” on the Gold Coast over summer before picking up again in 2019. It follows a property slowdown after the Commonwealth Games.“Once the Games were over the market started to slow and prices started to record some modest falls,” he said.In the 12 months to November, SQM Research revealed house prices on the Coast were down 0.2 per cent while unit prices were up 3.6 per cent.“We’re not expecting falls to continue in 2019,” he said.“But the price gains will be fairly modest in the scheme of things.” Prices on the Gold Coast are expected to rise between two and six per cent next year while rents are set to increase between two and five per cent.SQM Research managing director Louis Christopher attributed the increases to a limit on development in the city combined with an upswing of interstate migration, particularly from Sydney and Melbourne.“We know the Gold Coast has a boom and bust history and the prominent reason behind that is the momentum picks up again and developers notoriously go crazy and overbuild,” Mr Christopher said.“This time round the difference is the developers have not been given the finance to go crazy and so building approvals have been somewhat limited in the most recent upturn.”“We also note that when we look at pricing levels the Gold Coast is offering close to fair value unlike Sydney and Melbourne which are heavily overvalued.” While Mr Bell acknowledged the property market was not as strong as the Gold Coast had hoped for earlier this year, sales volumes and inquiries had firmed over the third quarter of 2018.“In hindsight it wasn’t as robust as many had expected, while tighter lending conditions didn’t help either, but there has been a definite increase in activity in the latter half of the year,” Mr Bell said.“With migration to the Gold Coast at record levels we are holding up well as a very robust market, given the high volume of cashed-up downsizers who don’t require finance.”last_img read more

Plumtree joins Irish coaching team

first_img Plumtree has been head coach at Super 15 outfit the Natal Sharks since 2008, overseeing triumphant Currie Cup seasons in 2008 and 2010. The 48-year-old Kiwi also has experience of the Welsh League with Swansea and guided the Wellington Lions to play-off finals in 2003, 2004 and 2006 in New Zealand’s NPC. Press Association Ireland have appointed John Plumtree as their new forwards coach, the Irish Rugby Football Union has announced.center_img “I’m really looking forward to becoming part of the Irish coaching set-up,” said Plumtree, who was named South African coach of the year in 2012. “Having watched a number of recent Test matches there are some really positive challenges in front of us. “I’m conscious of the responsibility we have and will be working hard to play my part in driving the team forward.” Plumtree will arrive in Dublin in early September and will work beneath new Ireland head coach Joe Schmidt, who replaced Declan Kidney in the wake of the RBS 6 Nations. “It’s great to have John joining us as part of the Irish coaching team,” Schmidt said. “His proven success and broad experience across a number of competitions along with his ability to provide quality direction will add real value to the team.” last_img read more

Basketball looks ahead to Oregon game

first_imgA pair of strong victories over the weekend have helped stabilize the USC men’s basketball team after it underwent a bumpy start to Pac-12 competition this season.Senior guard Elijah Stewart scored 9 points against Utah, going 3-for-4 from long range. Tucker Judkins | Daily TrojanA 20-point scoring effort from senior guard Jordan McLaughlin propelled the Trojans past visiting Colorado on Jan. 10, 70-58. The victory over the Buffs was followed up by an 84-67 USC routing of Utah on Sunday, a game which saw the Trojans hit a season-high 14 3-pointers as a team.USC’s (13-6) weekend sweep at the Galen Center improved it’s conference record to 4-2 this season and moved it into a tie for second-place with UCLA in the Pac-12 standings.“Every game in our league is a challenging one this season — we’re in a very deep conference,” USC head coach Andy Enfield said. “We’re happy with how we played this past week. We beat two tough teams at home and we’ve been playing some good basketball.”  The Trojans will look to extend their conference winning-streak to three games Thursday night, as they travel to Eugene to take on Oregon (12-6, 2-3). The Ducks, who are coming off a 90-83 loss to No. 14 Arizona, are led offensively by sophomore guard Payton Pritchard (who is averaging a team-high 15 PPG).“We’ve been playing some good basketball, very well on the defensive side of things over the past five games,” Enfield said. “We know it’s going to take another good defensive effort from our guys to pick up a win at Oregon.” Pac-12 losses to Arizona (Jan. 13), Oregon State (Jan. 5) and Utah (Dec. 29) have dropped Oregon to a 2-3 record in conference play this season. The Ducks currently find themselves situated at eighth in the Pac-12 standings. USC was swept in its series against Oregon last season, losing both games in double-digit fashion. When the Trojans traveled to Oregon last season, they returned with an 84-61 blowout loss to the Ducks. USC has not won a road contest against Oregon since the 2008-2009 season.“We’ve just got to show up and play some solid defense for an entire 40 minutes and knock down some shots,” McLaughlin, said. “It’s a little tough to be playing there, but then again every road game is tougher … If we can stick to playing fast, smart, unselfish, we should be in it.” McLaughlin, who leads the conference with 7.6 APG this season, is also averaging 13.2 PPG and has been the main offensive cog for the Trojans all season long. USC will look to McLaughlin to feed the other three Trojans scoring in double-figures this season: junior forwards Chimezie Metu (team-high 16.7 PPG) and Bennie Boatwright (15.4 PPG) and senior guard Elijah Stewart (10.9 PPG).“[McLaughlin’s] a great leader for us, and it’s really showing on the court right now,” Metu said. “If you’re in the right place on the floor, he’ll find you. He’s a guy who will make the right pass 10 times out of 10.” After losing to Stanford back on Jan. 7 in the most devastating of fashions (allowing a 55-foot 3-pointer as time expired in regulation), USC has responded resiliently by racking up back-to-back conference victories, both by double digits.After doing battle at Oregon on Thursday night, USC will proceed to play Oregon State (10-7, 2-3) in Corvallis on Saturday.Following a rocky non-conference outing this season, USC will have another opportunity to continue its upward trek in the conference standings this weekend. A successful weekend sweep of the Oregon schools would have the Trojans flirting with the top spot in the Pac-12 standings.“We’ve just got to take this road trip one game at a time,” McLaughlin said. “We’ll keep all our focus on [Oregon] first and see what goes from there.”last_img read more