Militant attacks continue in Valley amid shutdown

first_imgJammu cops to donate a day’s salary to martyrs’ kin Tension prevailed in Kashmir Valley for the second consecutive day on Sunday as restrictions continued in parts of Srinagar.Meanwhile, militants opened fire at security forces in three places. In Bijbehara, militants fired at army’s road opening party. “Militants fled immediately after opening a few shots,” said a police spokesman. Militants also opened fire on the Army and CRPF camps in Bijbehara and Budgam on Saturday night.Meanwhile in south Kashmir, where two civilians and three militants died in Friday’s gunfight, a spontaneous shutdown impacted life. There were also sporadic incidents of stone-pelting.Locals alleged security forces barged into their residences following an incident of stone pelting in Astan Pora in Anantnag and “thrashed inmates”.Meanwhile, train services resumed services after halting it for two days. The service on Budgam-Srinagar-Anantnag- Qazigund- Banihal track has been resumed, said an official. Most separatist leaders were also placed under house arrest.A 26-year-old youth, who was injured after unknown gunmen opened fire at him at Pingleena area of Pulwama in south Kashmir on Saturday evening, succumbed to injuries in Srinagar hospital on Saturday night.The victim has been identified as Aijaz Ahmad Malik. He had received two bullets in the abdomen.Also Read  ‘No threat to pilgrims’Hurriyat chairman Syed Ali Geelani said on Sunday that there was no terror threat to the Amarnath Yatra pilgrims.“The people of Kashmir have always been friendly and generous to visitors, especially the Amarnath pilgrims. They have treated the Amarnath pilgrims with unique hospitality,” he said.“An adverse propaganda is being launched by the media suggesting that the pilgrims are facing a threat from the people of the State. Terror threat to the Amarnath Yatra is a brazen lie, aimed at maligning the people’s movement,” he said. He said the people of Kashmir “are not against any religion.” “Fanatical forces in India are desperate to give a bad name to the freedom movement and are relying on negative propaganda…”last_img read more

Delhi University SOL admission process begins on June 17

first_imgDelhi University regular college admissions are underway but the School of Open Learning (SOL) admission process is set to begin from June 17, 2014. Aspirants can apply online for the SOL distance courses as well as offline. There will be no fee for aspirant applying to SOL online.”The university has finally given approval to the undergraduate programme and the dates have been finalized. For those applying online it will be free and for those filling offline forms, they will have to pay Rs 100,” H.C. Pokhriyal, executive director, DU School of Open Learning (SOL) told IANS.The online form will be made available from June 17, while the sale of forms offline will begin on June 25, 2014.Last year around 1.38 lakh students had applied at SOL, which offers Bachelors of Arts (B.A.) in English and political science, Bachelor of commerce (B.Com) honours and B.A. and B.Com. Pass courses.The last date of receipt of applications for admission without late fee is August 21, 2014.”From August 22, 2014 a late fee of Rs.200 will be charged,” said Pokhriyal.The last date to secure admission to SOL is September 15, 2014.The admission process to SOL has been delayed this year as there were reports that the three-year programme would be changed to four year like the other DU colleges.There were protests held against it in the north campus and outside the Human Resource Development Ministry, following which the three-year programme was retained.last_img read more

Beermen coach Leo Austria rues missed free throws in Game 3 loss

first_imgSan Miguel also missed 17 out of their 39 free throws attempts, including five in the fourth quarter.The Beermen also could not find the range hitting just 10-of-47 from deep for 23 percent which was a far cry from their 40% conversion during the eliminations.“You have to give credit to them, they really wanted to win,” said Austria of the Fuel Masters. “We missed a lot of free throws, we missed a lot of three-pointers, and we gave up a lot of rebounds.”Despite all of those, San Miguel came just a Chris Ross 3-pointer away from stealing Game 4. Ross misfired on a potential game-wining triple as time was running out.“Next time, we’ll have to stick to what our game plan is because we played their game tonight. We’re not able to make those shots that should be winning shots. I know everybody wants to win but we just came up short.”ADVERTISEMENT SEA Games hosting troubles anger Duterte Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Panelo: Duterte ‘angry’ with SEA Games hosting hassles Fabio Fognini realizes boyhood dream to win Monte Carlo Masters Duterte wants probe of SEA Games mess Philippine Arena Interchange inaugurated Hontiveros presses for security audit of national power grid Leo Austria. Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netMANILA, Philippines—San Miguel Beer head coach Leo Austra knows what it takes to win and he can also feel a sense of urgency from anyone when the situation calls for it.Austria is a six-time champion in the PBA, including four straight Philippine Cups, so when the Beermen faced Phoenix in Game 3 of the semifinals in the all-Filipino Conference the multi-titled tactician knew they will be in a dogfight.ADVERTISEMENT The Beermen had a chance to take a commanding 3-0 series lead but the Fuel Masters had other plans and held on to a 92-90 win and Austria expected Phoenix to bring the fight to them.“Before the start of the game, I told the team that it will be difficult to beat Phoenix today because they know what’s their situation right now,” said Austria Sunday at Smart Araneta Coliseum.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSPalace wants Cayetano’s PHISGOC Foundation probed over corruption chargesSPORTSSingapore latest to raise issue on SEA Games food, logistics“If they get down 3-0 then that’s going to be tough. I think we’re the only ones who came back from a 0-3 series deficit,” added Austria, pertaining to the Beermen’s improbable rally in the 2016 Philippine Cup where they climbed out of a 0-3 hole to beat the Alaska Aces.The Fuel Masters enjoyed an absurd rebounding advantage over the Beermen, 71-49, including 28-15 on the offensive glass.center_img View comments MOST READ DA eyes importing ‘galunggong’ anew Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games PLAY LIST 02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss Cayetano: Senate, Drilon to be blamed for SEA Games mess LATEST STORIES Private companies step in to help SEA Games hostinglast_img read more

World Cup 2018: Croatia in quarter-finals after second penalty shootout drama

first_imgCroatia defeated Denmark to reach World Cup quarter-finals for the first time since 1998.The match was decided through a penalty shootout after the round of 16 clash finished deadlocked at 1-1 after 90 minutes and extra time at the Nizhny Novgorod Stadium.Croatian goalkeeper Danijel Subasic made three saves in the shootout as they won 3-2. They will face Russia in the quarter-final.It was the second game to be decided on penalties on Sunday after Russia defeated Spain 4-3 via penalty shootout to reach finals.2018 FIFA WORLD CUP: FULL COVERAGECroatia could have wrapped up the result five minutes from the end of extra time but Luka Modric had his penalty saved by Kasper Schmeichel.However, the Croatia captain returned to bravely take one of the post-match kicks as goalkeeper Subasic save three of Denmark’s efforts to set up a quarter-final meeting with Russia on Saturday.Only one keeper has saved 3 penalties in a shoot-out before Danijel SubasicIt happened exactly on this day in 2006 – approximately 12 years & 3 hours ago, when Ricardo helped #POR knock out #ENGWith Schmeichel also saving 3 today, 1 July is clearly a day for keepers!#CRODEN pic.twitter.com/sAVJewO2yPFIFA World Cup (@FIFAWorldCup) July 1, 2018It was Modric’s sublime pass that put Ante Rebic through on goal, before being brought down by Mathias Jorgensen, and offered Croatia a chance to win just before the lottery of the shootout. But Schmeichel made a smart save to keep the 1-1 stalemate intact through two hours of at times pedestrian football.advertisementTwo chaotic goals in the opening four minutes made for a rollicking start at the Nizhny Novgorod Stadium. However, it proved a false dawn as the spectacle faded with both sides choosing caution as their priority given the rare chance to reach the last eight at a World Cup.HIGHLIGHTSJorgensen took all of 57 seconds to breach the Croatia defence at the end of a long throw-in by Jonas Knudsen, stabbing at the ball with his left foot as he took it off team mate Thomas Delaney.Croatia goalkeeper Danijel Subasic got a hand to Jorgensen’s toe-poke but effectively deflected the ball across his own line.There was an element of comedy to the fourth-minute equaliser for Mario Mandzukic as Denmark’s early advantage quickly disappeared.A kick across the Danish defence was firmly hit away by Henrik Dalsgaard but straight into the face of team mate Andreas Christensen, creating a pinball effect that saw the ball fall for Mandzukic, who then expertly turned it into the net from close range.The anticipated influence of Christian Eriksen for the Danes and Croatia’s Modric held out hopes of more mouth-watering action but their craft was only evident in patches.Eriksen did shave the top of the woodwork just before halftime with a speculative effort while, at the other end, Ivan Rakitic forced a smart save from Schmeichel.After the interval, the chances were even more sparse although Croatia did up the tempo towards the end of regulation time only to run into a resolute Denmark defence.In extra time, Knudsen’s long throws proved the most dangerous attacking weapon but eventually it was penalties that delivered a winner.(With Reuters inputs)last_img read more

Tata Global Beverages may sell its China operations

first_imgTata Global Beverages on Wednesday said it might sell its loss-making China subsidiary. The company’s Chinese subsidiary, called Zhejiang Tata Tea Extraction Company, reported a net loss of Rs. 15 crore in the previous financial year.  “For China, we are exploring different options, which could be restructuring or a sale,” Cyrus Mistry, the Tata Group Chairman, said at Tata Global Beverage’s (TGB) annual shareholder meeting in Kolkata on Wednesday.The Indian non-alcoholic beverage company holds 81 percent in Zhejiang Tata Tea Extraction (ZTTECL). According to TGBL’s balance sheet, the Chinese subsidiary reported losses of over Rs. 100 crore in the financial year that ended on Dec. 31 Dec, 2015.”We continue to have those challenges and will take a call on the business there in the coming year. It is significantly a B2B business over there. It is not a consumer business. That’s not the reason that business is getting impacted. The reason is more from a productive prospective,” Mistry added. Various options have been considered for “restructuring” the Chinese business. The joint venture recorded liabilities of Rs. 115.54 crore and loss after tax was pegged at Rs. 15.34 crore as of December 31, 2015, according to TGBL’s annual report. “Delays continue in stabilisation of the China business. While prospective customers have shown interest in our instant tea products, the final conversion to orders will be dependent on meeting the product profile requirements. Going forward, stabilising the production process and establishing a pipeline of external customers and successful scaling of technology will be key to the success of the project,” the annual report said.The joint venture between Zhejiang Tata Tea Extraction and TGBL was inked in 2007. TGBL holds 70 percent stake while ZTTECL holds the rest. The TGBL stock was trading at Rs. 141.75 at around 2.31 p.m. on Thursday, up 1 percent from its previous close on the Bombay Stock Exchange.last_img read more

Grabbing groceries at the last moment

first_imgShoppers throng at the groceries in Kawran Bazar on Friday, the eve of Eid. Photo: Abdus SalamPeople have been thronging at the grocery stores in different markets of the capital, doing their last moment shopping ahead of Eid.Krishi Market at Mohammadpur on Friday was teeming with people buying essentials for Eid to be celebrated on Saturday.Buyers lined up at the grocers, with the shopkeepers keeping up with demands of the buyers.Salesman Omar Faruk said, “Yesterday wasn’t so busy. Today I opened my shop at 8:00am and will continue till midnight”.He said there was a demand for spices, fine rice, semai (vermicelli), and noodles.Laccha semai is being sold at Tk 150 a kg and  plain semai at Tk 60 a kg. Polau rice is being sold at Tk 95 to 110 a kg.Buying ingredients for the Eid delicacy semai, at Karwan Bazar in the capital. Photo: Abdus SalamList in hand, Saima Begum arrived at the market. “I have to entertain guests on the day after Eid and will cook a number of dishes.” Saima Begum said.Mohamamd Sabuj, a shopkeeper at Mohammadpur Town Hall, said the sale of spices, including cumin, cardamom and black pepper, had gone up.Buyers alleged that the sellers at Karwan Bazar, Mohammadpur Krishi Market and Town Hall market, had raised the prices. A hundred gram of cumin is being sold at Tk 50 while 100 gram cardamom is being sold between Tk 150 and Tk 180. The sellers, however, claimed that prices had not increased.*This report has been rewritten in English by Rabiul Islam.last_img read more

India a brother China like a longlost cousin

first_img.A Maldives diplomat has termed India a brother and China a long-lost cousin of the Indian Ocean nation, South China Morning Post reports.The Maldives’ ambassador to China, Mohamed Faisal, came up with the comment as the two powers flexed their muscle in exerting influence over the island country, creating tensions in the Maldives and outside.Two days after Maldivian president Abdulla Yameen lifted a state of emergency, the ambassador was quoted to have said that the Maldives will further embrace Chinese investment and “is aware it risks getting caught between China and India.”“India is a brother. We are a family, we may quarrel and we may have arguments but in the end we will sit down and resolve it,” the newspaper quoted the ambassador as saying in a report published on 22 March. said that India is a brother to Maldives and China is like a long lost cousin found, South China Morning Post reported.“We have taken a lot of our projects to India as well, but we did not receive the necessary finance. China is like a long lost cousin that we have found, a long lost cousin who is willing to help us,” the ambassador was quoted as saying.He, however, was said to have maintained that his country would not take any side between China and India.The South China Morning Post mentioned that more than 70 per cent of the Maldives’ foreign debt is owed to China.last_img read more